Explaining Intersectionality and feminism: men are burgers, women pizza. But there are many kinds of pizza

Joffrey was Little Ceaser, Cersei is a double order of Crazy Bread.

1 Like

I had thought intersectionality was about there being overlapping types of privilege as well as oppression, so that, for example, a poor gay white man may be privileged by race and sex, but not be privileged on the axes of sexuality or class, while a wealthy cisgender black woman may not have white privilege, but may be privileged on other axes, such as education or gender identity.

5 Likes

One problem is that giving a fancy academic label to “combinations of disadvantages and advantages” makes it seem harder to understand than it is. As with many words that look impressive on published papers, the average non-academic is left feeling dumb. Which in many cases is not an unintended outcome.

2 Likes

An essential truth of pizza intersectionality is that Chicago deep-dish sits at the crossroads of Lasagna and Pie.

1 Like

I like the term “intersectionality”, because I think it’s clear and means what it says.

1 Like

I think the only way that burgers will ever fully appreciate the intersectionality of pizzas is to develop the technology to slowly, over the course of many iterations, make subtle changes to the DNA of the burger, bun and standard toppings.
Each new version of the burger would see the bread become more doughy and spread around, eventually changing to a single layer, the cheese, inch by inch, working it’s way under the burger which self eviscerates into circlets of salami, each generation a frozen metamorphoses of iterative evolution. Blurring right by the Standard Cheese into a world of sliced and diced sausage pizza.
Finally, for a fleeting moment of clarity, realising the truth before being rolled up and unceremoniously crowned atop a Sextuple Cheese Burger Stack on an epic yet male-centric youtube cooking channel.

Ah well, It was nice whilst it lasted.

1 Like

I didn’t get it, could someone dumb it down for me?

You lost me at “ubiquitous cheese pizza”. Isn’t that just a pizza base?

1 Like

Came here for a discussion about intersectionality. Left to get something to eat.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t really get this. Is the argument is that any broad group fighting against discrimination needs to fight for equal rights for what everyone in the group has in common, but also the discrimination faced by smaller subsets of the group?

So everyone needs to fight for everything? Doesn’t that just make messaging less effective by diluting it? I’ve read Rules for Radicals. There was a whole chapter, if I remember correctly, on why this strategy is really ineffective (see: the Occupy movement for a recent example).

Is there some reason why multiple groups can’t fight each for a single thing?

1 Like

Women and Men: What kind of pizza or burger are you?

I’m a 1/3# burger with lettuce, pickle, American cheese 2x, and creamy peanut butter.

You have a good point. But it helps when we have each others’ backs, instead of stabbing them. I can’t fight for every cause I’ve ever heard of, but I can lend support - or at least not sabotage somebody else’s good.

1 Like

Actually, I think I might have made a poor assumption and framed things too widely. I assumed groups fighting for say, women’s rights, were fighting for issues that were common to all women, but it seems that is not the case. While fighting for say, maternity leave, the focus is generally on white collar women, not working class women.

So we could say the problem is that organizations shouldn’t bill themselves as representing the larger group if they don’t or that organizations need to ensure their priorities don’t focus exclusively on one particular subset of the group.

1 Like

I think this is why videos like this exist. These are common discussions in undergraduate classes now, so people who’ve had this in their feminism 101 class are deploying them in the real world.

But you’re right that academics can sometimes be jargony, but that’s true of any field.

What? The thread on the white privilege, which is a shitshow? Or my comment?

I love that adorable gif. Eat a way little… springbok? Is that a spring bok?

1 Like

You’re talking to a spambot…

Food-based analogies are usually confusing and unhelpful.

I don’t know, but I intend to find out. Doesn’t look quite like a springbok to me. I love those ears!

1 Like

I believe it is a slender-horned Rihm gazelle.

Here’s a baby!

Edited to add: Wait, that’s a Thompson’s gazelle! Hmmm…further cute videos are needed for study…

4 Likes