Explaining marine invertebrate reproductive strategies to the lobster-obsessed Jordan Peterson

Hmm, that sounds…familiar…

17 Likes

Actually, there are many examples of great players making poor managers. Ted Williams and Mel Ott come to mind. Most of the acknowledged great managers were marginal players, like Walter Alston.

1 Like

It’s certainly what I was taught, and I’ve never seen anyone do anything else in a home kitchen.

They die very quickly and I’m not sure it’s possible to make a creature with a lobster’s nervous system suffer less than they do from total immersion in vehemently boiling water. It’s possible they might even suffer a lot more from confinement and captivity on their way to the kitchen.

For comparison, shooting a cat directly through the brain with a .22 magnum at point blank range is a much slower way to kill than dropping a live lobster into a large pot of water at high boil. It isn’t necessarily valid to equate speed of death with quality of suffering, of course, but it’s all I’ve got.

2 Likes

Blockchain.

6 Likes

Giant sized ones aren’t even high up on the Radioactive Monster pecking order.

Godzilla easily bested Ebirah (name translated as Shrimpasaurus)

Defeated by piddly humans in a return visit in Final Wars. (Godzilla didn’t even bother with him)
Ebirah04

12 Likes

This thread is now perfect.

9 Likes

I have no compelling reason to use words in response. So I will respond purely in meme form

images

I will end the post by trying to calm you down with a picture of an adorable kitten in a post surgical collar

Her name is Yoda.

14 Likes

This is the most inept attempt at gaslighting I think I’ve ever seen.

Well … done?

9 Likes

This appears to be true and is a sad commentary on our culture.

13 Likes

American “public intellectual.”* Funny how those repeatedly end up being rightwing blowhards, who bloviate multisyllabic verbiage in an attempt to cover up the simplistic bullshit that is their “ideas.”

OTOH, while someone like Noam Chomsky is widely recognized outside the U.S. as one of the greatest minds of his generation, very few people in his own country have even heard of him.

*Guess I should say North American

12 Likes

This takedown of the pseudo-intellectualism Peterson serves up to his less-than-erudite followers is on-point and funny:

Her dismantling of Peterson’s nonsense term “postmodern neo-Marxism” is particularly good.

13 Likes

Yes, finally, that Who Moved My Cheese guy has been dethroned.

Lobsters are a cruel species.

6 Likes

I will forever refer to JP as Jordaddy

8 Likes

Some key lobster SNL moments

And atomic lobsters invading the studio

Bonnie Raitt’s second song and reaches a glorious climax when the Atomic Lobsters attack the studio to end the show, leaving carnage and mayhem in their midst.

4 Likes

I mean agree on the main, although tossing Williams hat in the ring isn’t really fair, he came into a mess that he took to the playoffs in his first year, and things degenerated rapidly from there (the owner/gm was a trucking magnate who got rid of all their good players as part of his successful play to move the senators to Texas.) That experience fouled Williams on managing forever, as he decided his springs would be better spent fishing. He was, however, a highly respected itinerant hitting coach for the rest of his life.

There’s some bleed here with borderline cases, Mike Scioscia being one that comes to mind- very good player, will probably be inducted to the HOF as a manager when all is said and done.

In basketball, several superstar players have gone on to vg to great coaching careers, Heinsohn, Russell, Riley, Jackson come to mind. Currently two successful HC’s were also, if not outright superstars, very good in their playing days, Doc and Steve Kerr. Oh fwiw Bird was an excellent coach for a couple years before moving up the ladder to run the Pacers org.

3 Likes

Are there investment opportunities?

1 Like

Give me 48 hours, and I’ll send you the info on our ICO :wink:

4 Likes

Just so long as you promise to never ask “Who’s Jordaddy?

11 Likes

Ted Williams never made the playoffs. His team did have a good first year, but then went downhill fast. You may well be right about why, I don’t know.

Sciosia was not a “very good” player. He was a good one, All-Star twice, and no doubt a very good catcher, but his hitting was very average. He’s in the category of good managers, not that great players.

Don’t know about Heinsohn, but Russell didn’t have a great coaching career, once he didn’t have those great Boston clubs. Riley and Jackson weren’t great players. Neither were Doc and Kerr-Kerr could certainly shoot, and I yield to nobody in my admiration for him as a coach, but he was never regarded as a great player. Rivers, maybe. Maybe; he comes close, at least. Bird, probably, but didn’t have a long enough coaching career to tell.

Red Auerbach, Bill Belichick, Sparky Anderson, Connie Mack, Bill Walsh, Greg Popovich…not such great players. There are a few here and there, but the point is that great players don’t always make great leaders, as was suggested they should always do.

1 Like

Nobody mainstream or serious ever says that about roads, but Ronald Reagan really did say Medicare would be the end of freedom. It’s on their list.

join the dance

7 Likes