Explaining marine invertebrate reproductive strategies to the lobster-obsessed Jordan Peterson

20 Likes

Apparently ‘banana lobster’ is a thing. Just look at it.

8 Likes

The sex lives of lobsters are as nothing when compared with the sex lives of marine parasites:

One more time, with feeling: parasitic castrator of crabs.

9 Likes

Haekel’s illustration of an infected crab is quite evocative.

6 Likes

For “quite evocative” read “my lunch suddenly not sitting right.”

6 Likes

8 Likes

We all have our aesthetic preferences…

2 Likes

Lobsters have substantially different nervous systems than vertebrates, such that it’s distributed throughout the body rather than concentrated in the head, so there’s actually no brain to knife through for an instant death. However, whether they experience pain the same way vertebrates do, or even at all, seems to be a matter of some debate.

Cursory research indicates that professional chefs favor either electrocution (impractical for the home cook) or quickly cutting the entire lobster in half, but a lot do still use the knife-to-the-head method because ultimately the distinction between “humane” and “inhumane” death in this case is probably more about us than the lobsters.

13 Likes

I always wondered exactly what Bruce’s group expected its members to live on, if their natural food source was off limits.

6 Likes

Cephalopods and crustaceans would be a doable diet.

If you can get over the classist implications of the whole thing.

5 Likes

I thought the most common method was to boil them alive.

She didn’t read the book, and says she’s proud that she didn’t. Maybe, before one seeks to take down another’s views, one should read them.

You don’t have to agree with them. You don’t have to like them. But if you’re gonna fight 'em, you should probably know them.

4 Likes

Probably more troubling for a psychologist on the “huffing Jung and pop-sci” side of the spectrum it’s an empirical takedown; which is so brutal they’d like to dismiss it as a category error.

(They certainly don’t all do this; but it’s never good when someone interprets “psychology” as “some lightweight lit; and anthropology where all your fieldwork involves gathering anecdotes, mostly from inside your own head.”)

7 Likes

What does that have to do with lobsters?

14 Likes

“Lobsters are food, not behavioral role models.”

Perfectly broiled and buttered lobster always brings out a certain behavioral role in me.

:yum:

6 Likes

Contentment at having a full belly?

5 Likes

Paging Charlie Stross, white courtesy telephone please…

4 Likes

Why is someone’s entire book relevant to examination of a specific claim?

Outside of the most rigidly axiomatic areas you can’t claim to have demolished an entire work based on a single point; but that’s quite different from simply inspecting one particular claim; a thing you can do quite readily unless a work is so cryptic that it defies decomposition.

19 Likes

Thoughts and Prayers.

5 Likes

Anticipation followed by salivation in anticipation of toothy scrunch-down onto lovely lobster flesh, all prior to (yes) contentment at having a full (of lobster) belly. Brainstem stuff!!

:blush:

3 Likes