Extra virgin olive oil prevented build-up of toxic proteins in brains of mice

Mice that can’t remember their own children’s names!
Don’t worry, if you play them anything by Vera Lynn they come good for a while.

Hey, clarifying butter is easy. Put it in a pan, melt on medium low heat until completely melted. Pour it into a Pyrex flask. Put in fridge. Next day, the butter (ghee) is on top and the cream below. You have options now. You can pry the puck off the top. You can poke a hole and pour out the watery whey. You can just use it as is and scoop off the top. However you roll from this point is your choice, but the deed has been done: it’s separated.

3 Likes

Big Olive definitely had a hand in this.

1 Like

Be careful about reading too much into a single correlational study with very thin p-value margins. It’s also well understood that Alzheimer’s has a very large genetic component that needs to be controlled for in regional correlations like that. The genetic disposition part probably overwhelms all other factors, but this is why epidemiological nutrition science is hard and it takes decades to be sure about anything.

2 Likes

That’s how most animal research is done, and has been done for quite some time. Testing on animals prone to things that humans also get, and trying to cure them.

2 Likes

Nor do I. And, to be sure, if I or someone I love had a diagnosis that could be treated by research that was of dubious ethical origin, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to say yes.

And that’s the rub. Well said.

2 Likes

I practically bathe in the stuff already.

1 Like

That is a vicious rumor.

1 Like

14 Likes

I, for one, swear by cheap slut olive oil.

7 Likes

there is already done science on olive oil (unsaturated fats) dissolving arterial plaques - this sounds like a similar effect

3 Likes

Back! Back, I say!! :latin_cross::garlic::dagger::pray:

tumblr_noxez4PPmL1spqx0mo1_500

5 Likes

It’s just mice. There are about 1000 papers published per year on mouse models of Alzheimers. Mouse research can provide important insights into the fundamental biology of Alzheimer’s and other diseases but it is unlikely to provide direct evidence for human dietary recommendations. The authors may or may not be onto something, but that does not make this study especially newsworthy. The only reason to highlight this story is that it plays into human dietary fads.

2 Likes

silly humans

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.