Olive Oil in 'Mediterranean diet,' not so much red wine, linked to longer lifespan in new study

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/olive-oil-in-mediterranean-d.html

Researchers discover a potential new way in which diet influences aging-related diseases.

10 Likes

:thinking: I think I’ll continue to consume both. Just to have my bases covered.

34 Likes

I’ll drink to that!

11 Likes

So I need to have a glass of olive oil with dinner tonight?

14 Likes

Wait a few more years. I’m sure there’s going to be some study saying that alcohol is good for you again. Just avoid believing in scientific studies that are inconvenient. That’s how I get ahead.

11 Likes

I’m drinking a bottle of olive oil right now!

10 Likes

download

25 Likes

But what of Popeye’s chicken?

3 Likes

Whatever health benefits seem to pop up about alcohol will never outweigh the harms. Like the fact that it’s a carcinogen.

2 Likes

Not sure, but do the health benefits extend to Olive Oyl’s bacon.

Edit: Anybody else reminded of Minecraft by this?

7 Likes

Gotta lubricate those arteries.

6 Likes

cerseimorewine

the chicken sandwich is good.

7 Likes

An alternate or supplemental hypothesis is that the oleocanthal in extra-virgin olive oil is an anti-inflammatory, so consuming EVOO is much like taking a daily aspirin. Recent research seems to say that the daily aspirin regime is no longer as effective as it once was due to the increased use of statins and antihypertensive meds, so I wonder how effective olive oil is now.

5 Likes

Important to note that this study didn’t specifically examine EVOO, it examined mono-unsaturated fats that are found in EVOO but are also found in coconut oil, canola oil, peanut oil, or sesame oil.

7 Likes

And it doesn’t taste of Christianist hate.

3 Likes

An extra bonus… will probably still clog up your arteries, tho.

5 Likes

Start you day with a shot glass of olive oil. Then wash it off.

2 Likes

a new way in diet influences aging-related diseases.

@xeni seems like something needed to make these words parse into any sense.

Perhaps: “a way THAT diet” or “way in WHICH diet”

WHY NOT BOTH

why-not-both-tkd5ak

Red wine AND Olive Oil

Throw in some GARLIC, too!

7 Likes

It’s not the saaaaaaame!

3 Likes