'Extreme Vetting' is Trump's latest crazypants racist campaign thing

Nature has a sense about these things.

17 Likes

“solely on their participation in America’s mission to root out Islamic terrorism.”

This is nebulous even by political campaign standards. As much as I hope he doesn’t win, if the stars aligned and the apocalypse began it would be entertaining to see Muslims continue to successfully immigrate despite this attempt at secretly-not-secretly Islamophobic policy by claiming that they’re double agents.

2 Likes

These Muslamic Terrorists are sneakier than that. This is Sverrir Ibrahim Agnarsson, chairman of the Muslim Association of Iceland. Its like goddam Communism all over again.The only way to root it out is by increasing counter terrorism budgets and suspending the assumed right to privacy. :wink:

6 Likes

If memory serves, we made some very dubious friends during the cold war with our “anyone who isn’t the commies is our Freedom Buddy!” approach. Including some enthusiastic and pious fellows we arranged to do some proxy-warring in the middle east for us; and have had absolutely no reason to regret since… I’m sure it’ll work even better this time.

24 Likes

Extreme Vetting! (followed by echoing) Vetting! Vetting! Just like Extreme Wrestling! Wrestling! Wrestling! But with Bureaucracy! Bureaucracy! Bureaucracy! And Racism! Racism! Racism!

9 Likes

"Trump says if he’s elected president, he will halt immigration from “the most dangerous and volatile regions of the world…”

People from the United States are already here…

I heard he listed a whole bunch of terrorist attacks. I bet none of these were acts of domestic terrorism (e.g. the Oregon ranchers).

14 Likes

A quick study of Icelandic history suggests that even conversion to quite militant Islam would make the Icelanders more pacific. The Norse gods were bang alongside rape, loot, arson and pillage.

4 Likes

If there had been rudimentary vetting of presidential candidates, we wouldn’t be here now. The primaries / beauty contests are not vetting, they are a show. The press should do some of this, but it’s been equal time to crackpots for decades now. Facts don’t matter when the only measure of success is how many people watched.

7 Likes

Trump’s latest crazypants proposal

That’s Senor Crazypants to you.

5 Likes

Thought it said “Extreme Voting”. Then realised he’s calling for that, nay, his very existence is predicated upon that, already.

3 Likes

“We’re dropping in the polls, we gotta find something that will really impress people and reach the youth vote. . . how about extreme vetting? The kids these days like that extreme stuff, like skateboarding and Mountain Dew ads.”

In other words, is this Trump’s attempt at improving his poll numbers? His fawning masses didn’t need any more details, they were on board the moment he said “no more Mexicans and no more Muslims”, so the “extreme vetting” idea isn’t going to impress anyone opposed to Trump. As they say, the definition of “insane” is “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”

6 Likes

One of the current questions is, “Do you advocate the overthrow of the United States government by force or subversion?”
The story, probably apocryphal, is that a sweet old lady studied the question for a while, then circled “force”.

16 Likes

Not really sure I buy that, and I’m not sure “hey, we’re white too” is the way to solve the problem. Awful big following of Islam in Africa, the most populous country in the Islamic world is Indonesia, but still don’t forget the rest of Southeast Asia, and India. Even within the Arabic and Turkic world I don’t imagine that a ton of them would call themselves white. I guess that leaves Chechnyans, Bosnians, Kosovans, and converts/minorities? Assuming that there aren’t any major ethnicities I missed there.

“Muslims are okay” seems like a way better option to me than “these muslims are white so they’re cool too”.

4 Likes

Extreme Trumpy!

7 Likes

10 Likes

Huzzah!

4 Likes

20 Likes

Extreme! Radical! as a child of the 80s, this campaign feels like coming home. Can we start referring to something as “awesome” or “tubular” now?

12 Likes

Don’t forget “Cowabunga!”

8 Likes

Righteous, righteous.

7 Likes