Facebook gun nuts point loaded guns at their nuts. Guess what happened?

It’s Johnny Knoxville’s fault!

5 Likes

People aren’t putting guns in their pants at the range - which they may only go to infrequently- they’re doing it everywhere else and more often than they visit the range. Your estimate of range behavior not withstanding - you have no idea what that percentage is.

12 Likes

Stories like this which touch Facebook give us a useful metric for determining how much of a “thing” it is. The amount of news coverage a news story gets is a poor way of determining the size of a movement, how many people are doing it. There may be more news articles written about this topic than there are people who were part of the facebook group dedicated to the practice of pointing loaded guns at your junk.

Unfortunately, this group has been deleted so we can’t say for sure how “fringe” the original was. A new one has been created to take its place, but only has less than 200 members.

Let’s say the original group was 10 times higher – maybe 2000 members – this would be 1/5th the membership of the official NRA outreach group (10k members). That would be a fair claim that it’s “not fringe”.

10 Likes

It sounded weird no matter how I typed it in. To the grammar gods, I informally submit my most sincere apologies.

6 Likes

That’s definitely been done. This guy does seem to likely qualify for the ignominius distinction of being a surviving winner of a Darwin Award.

5 Likes

The most disturbing thing in the source article is easily the phrase “God’s caliber.”

3 Likes

I know right? Except you should use the segment at the start of Idiocracy where Clevon needs reconstructive surgery on his scrotum after a failed ATV jump.

2 Likes

Maybe all that is needed is a nice warning label on guns ? You know, « Balls may be closer than they appear », etc.

9 Likes

It was. Only in this case they are so far gone that “the libs” are other gun owners that advocate such crazy things as basic firearms safety.

25 Likes

I think he got more than just the fringe.

20 Likes

I’m confused why anyone participates in the meme with an actual loaded weapon. No one is going to be able check your weapon or tell the difference. Why not use an unloaded gun?

17 Likes

OK, everyone, America is clearly great again, you can stop now.

20 Likes

Fair - but neither do you to back up your statement.

I can say that page has 1.7K members - 1.5K added in the last week. Looks like they got nuked and reformed. That’s nothing. I can say that all of the reactions I’ve seen to these articles has been negative. No one is defending these morons.

This is hardly the first time where a small group of people are doing something stupid and it gets blown out of proportion by the internet. Before all of this there was this “lackin’ challenge” making the viral rounds. haven’t seen anyone else say that was a good idea either.

To call their actions anywhere near mainstream is ridiculous.

In general (not a direct reply):

You don’t like guns? That’s fine. You want different gun laws. Super cool, good luck with that. Like to point and laugh at the idiots. Please do. They deserve everything they get.

Pretending this is anywhere near common is disingenuous at best.

Someone is clearly trolling the gun nut groups trying to get them to Darwin Award themselves. That said, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

8 Likes

It is a mistake to equate a motorcycle (a form of transportation), a skateboard (a toy/form of transportation), and a pistol (an instrument whose primary purpose is to end a human life).

11 Likes

Even there it’s a problem. I’ve been to a gun range about 25 times in my life. On two occasions, I saw behaviour that got someone kicked off, and a few more times saw behaviour that was definitely dangerous but didn’t result in expulsion. If the vast bulk of gun owners were as responsible as ammosexuals claim I shouldn’t have seen any incidents over the course of so few visits, let alone (conservatively speaking) 10% of them.

I’ve also had one supposedly responsible gun owner wave one of his prizes at me and some others when he was showing off his collection and then telling us to “lighten up” when we all yelled at him. Again, the odds should have been against that ever happening to me if we lived in a country where this kind of behaviour was as uncommon as ammosexuals like to pretend it is.

This situation, not to mention the epidemic of gun violence in this country, is only going to get worse if ammosexuals keep blocking meaningful regulation of firearms because they want to fantasise about being action heroes and freedom fighters.

I’m really tired of insecure white dudes with the mentality of the sort of 12-year-old suburban boy who collects nunchucks and throwing stars dominating the discussion about anything involving dangerous weapons.

That’s a fair estimate of the original group’s size, when you take into account that in these situations there are usually a bunch of morons who don’t engage in the behaviour but cheer it on out of an earnest belief that it’s a way to “own the libs” and protect their own masculinity totems from being “taken away” by the gubmint.

19 Likes

Warning: Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

3 Likes

As I said in another thread:

10 Likes

Not sure that you can agree that there’s no data - then say you know the extent of the group without data and cast aspersions on others intent. I mean say and expect to be taken seriously. You can of course say whatever you care to.

9 Likes

For once I actually hoped this was just clickbait. I actually was expecting to read something like the dude just pointed a Nerf gun down there

D: Wow.

4 Likes