Facebook kills 200,000-member QAnon group

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/10/facecbook-kills-200000-member.html

9 Likes

Seems to me this is just lip service, which is otherwise applied to Cheeto’s rear.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, this will only convince these people that they are onto something that the establishment is trying to suppress, but it might make it harder for them to recruit new supporters.

21 Likes

Well, you’re friends with Mark Zuckerberg. Have you talked to him about this?

After I said this publicly, he sent me mail. I like Mark, I think he’s got very good values, but he and I do disagree on the trade-offs involved there. The lies are so titillating you have to be able to see them and at least slow them down. Like that video where, what do they call her, the sperm woman? That got over 10 million views! [Note: It was more than 20 million.] Well how good are these guys at blocking things, where once something got the 10 million views and everybody was talking about it, they didn’t delete the link or the searchability? So it was meaningless. They claim, “Oh, now we don’t have it.” What effect did that have? Anybody can go watch that thing! So I am a little bit at odds with the way that these conspiracy theories spread, many of which are anti-vaccine things. We give literally tens of billions for vaccines to save lives, then people turn around saying, “No, we’re trying to make money and we’re trying to end lives.” That’s kind of a wild inversion of what our values are and what our track record is.

16 Likes

It’s something, but as usual with FB it’s too little too late – the Comet Pingpong shooting (AKA QAnon stochastic terrorist incident) happened in Dec, 2016. Really, at this point they should be permabanning the users who start these groups as well as the groups themselves. As long as this horrible company’s business model is centred around engagement-based advertising model, though, they’re not going to lose one MAU if they can help it.

21 Likes

MAGA in and of itself is a cult and these Q people take it to an entirely different level. They literally believe that donny smallhands is about to launch “military tribunals” against Obama, Biden, etc. Worrisome thing is the Durham report will attempt to do some variation of just that for the October surprise.

17 Likes

Those people are already lost anyway. Taking away their recruiting tools is more important than assuaging their persecution complex. And Facebook plays a key role there as this is how they engage with their target audience at first. The YouTube and Discord and Twitter communication comes later, as they are ensnared but I’m willing to bet that most of the audience, due to their age, first become aware of Q through Facebook.

19 Likes

And being a billionaire won’t save you if these guys take over Mark. You’re on their target list just like people of color and lgbt people.

18 Likes

After I saw QAnon trying to disseminate their moronic ideas via an edited version of Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh’s opening), I think we are losing hard

3 Likes

Meanwhile in the basement of a Washington DC pizza restaurant…

18 Likes

That’s what makes it so scary and powerful. If you somehow anger them, they’ll just write you into the narrative as some child-eating luciferian. Let’s be honest. How hard is THAT gonna be…

13 Likes

man_pointing

Lord Nelson

Is their logo really ouroboros?

1 Like

So that’s done. Can you pass me another slice?

2 Likes

I think that mostly they use big Qs. This one is a variation of the Gadsden flag with the snake turned into a Q.

7 Likes

Every single time we get one of these pieces, Facebook takes down a handful of these groups, and it’s very easy to hop on Facebook and find dozens more of them that remain, even how ever much you report them. It’s a cat and mouse game that they are failing to make even more than a token effort at, and it’s infuriating.

6 Likes

If only…

2 Likes

The problem was that Facebook was rich soil for it to grow to 200k in the first place.

6 Likes

Yup, it’s always about to happen. Always just on the precipice. And when it doesn’t, it just requires a bit of reshuffling of the plan that was in place all along. It cannot fail, only be failed.

If anyone is interested in a field trip to what the internet would look like if we’d just decided in 2001 that we’d pretty much done as well as we could for user interface and graphics, please enjoy Free Republic’s Q headquarters:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3872907/posts

If this shit ain’t a cult, then the term has no meaning:

"The Great Awakening ('Freedom of Thought’), was designed and created not only as a backchannel to the public (away from the longstanding ‘mind’ control of the corrupt & heavily biased media) to endure future events through transparency and regeneration of individual thought (breaking the chains of ‘group-think’), but, more importantly, aid in the construction of a vehicle (a ‘ship’) that provides the scattered (‘free thinkers’) with a ‘starter’ new social-networking platform which allows for freedom of thought, expression, and patriotism or national pride (the feeling of love, devotion and sense of attachment to a homeland and alliance with other citizens who share the same sentiment).

*When ‘non-dogmatic’ information becomes FREE & TRANSPARENT it becomes a threat to those who attempt to control the narrative and/or the stable. *

*When you are awake, you stand on the outside of the stable (‘group-think’ collective), and have ‘free thought’. *

*“Free thought” is a philosophical viewpoint which holds that positions regarding truth should be formed on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, revelation, or dogma. *

*When you are awake, you are able to clearly see. *

*The choice is yours, and yours alone. *

*Trust and put faith in yourself. *

*You are not alone and you are not in the minority. *

Difficult truths will soon see the light of day.

7 Likes

People paying attention to Facebook point out that they are fairly consistently letting right-wing groups violate the rules. This mostly feels like a bit of theater by Facebook to pretend they’re doing what they should be doing, but aren’t.

10 Likes