Facial recognition: Amazon adds 'fear' to range of emotions Rekognition can detect

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/13/facial-recognition-amazon-add.html

Amazon is a major federal contractor. AWS powers ICE raids and detention camps.

2 Likes

In before @Papasan, “I’m afraid right now!” :laughing:

But srsly, this is teh fucked up. :unamused:

13 Likes

AIs that can sense fear doesn’t sound dystopian at all! Especially from a company heavily invested in autonomous drone technology!

12 Likes

phrenology 2 amazon throws you in detention boogaloo.

8 Likes

Or mass police surveillance through consumer devices.

7 Likes

Amazon Primal Fear

Coming to a town near you.

7 Likes

Ah, but what about Existential Dread? And once it can recognize that, how can it keep from actually feeling that?!?

High time to teach it… phenomenolgy.

3 Likes

The philosophy of measuring a viewer’s subjective experience of sensory impressions from binge watching Amazon Prime try so damn hard to produce content that doesn’t make us fear and dread the existence of future streaming content.

2 Likes

As I get older, like every day, I realize that a facial recog. app would make my life a whole lot better, I can’t f#ck’n remember anybody’s name…

5 Likes

So I should just Botox my entire face?

7 Likes

Maybe the AI will become self-aware, develop severe depression about the state of things, and shut itself down?

5 Likes

Meh: there are much easier ways to evade their system.

3 Likes

That might work…

BotoxFace

5 Likes

Let’s scare the AI’s for once.

6 Likes

Every part of this is it going to lead to unrivaled evil.

If anyone working on this technology reads this, I hope someday you realize what you are doing right now is evil, who you are working with is evil, and forget history- the people who you create a personal hell for with your work, I hope they show you first hand the hell you are creating in this society.

It seems like every time I turn around there is a Martin Shkreli level douchebag ready to cash in on fear of other people and scooping up their data.

9 Likes

ISWYDT :smirk:

2 Likes

You’re beautiful just the way you are.

6 Likes

heck. i fear being happy, so now what!?

2 Likes

Made much more effective with 5G!

1 Like

“We need to make sure the children we’ve put in concentration camps are sufficiently fearful.”

Well, I guess it’s better than Juggalo makeup, but there’s always masks…

I’m pretty sure the current, common engineer attitude of “I’m just creating value-neutral tools/I just made a little piece, so I’m not responsible for this horror I directly worked on” will continue to get a serious workout.

5 Likes