Facing lengthy prison terms, Capitol terrorist suspects are suddenly sorry for rioting on January 6

You’re absolutely right - but this is a sort of selection bias, only the people who were susceptible to being brainwashed by right-wing scumbags in the first place were in DC that day, and it clearly didn’t take much more to tip them over the edge from (what they presumably saw as) protesting to full-on rioting.

Cheer up, snowflakes! Just think of how much worse it could have been had you tried to pull a stunt like this five hundred years ago! Treason meant being hanged, drawn, and quartered.

2 Likes

Riots are disorganized. The insurrection was organized.

Calling it a riot lets trump and giuliani off the hook.

37 Likes

Over 140 (R) members of congress and a long list of right wing sycophants present or speaking at the rally on Jan06 don’t count?

17 Likes

Looks like Biden’s got his choice of turkeys to pardon, come Thanksgiving.

avengers-thor-nope

21 Likes

Plus most of the participants travelled to DC to participate, some on private jets. The idea that this attempted fascist insurrection was a protest where people were “tipped over the edge” and were just caught up “in the moment” is laughable.

37 Likes

Very fair point. I’m in the UK, and that was the term generally used by our media after the event - but you’re right, it’s not accurate.

1 Like

Proof of planning…

39 Likes

Oh Lordy, I sooooooooo wish I’d read this about 15 years ago when my then manager announced that his first and foremost voting determinant was Pro-Life, literally the ONLY time there would be secondary considerations would be if BOTH candidates were Pro-Life. (And since I’m in Kansas, that happens a time or three every election cycle but…we’re not here to talk about my oft-times disgust for my home state.)

ETA: I should have put scare quotes around Pro-Life, as my comprehension and understanding of the words that were comin’ outta his mouth did not align with what those words (as words) meant to me. h/t to DonatellaNobody for expressing that well.

4 Likes

Aside from myself, there are four traitors and a LEO who may or may not share your opinion. We’ll never know.

I live around some of these people, and listening to them try to justify an on-duty officer’s killing while having “blue lives matter” crap all over the back of their pick-ups makes me want to punch them even more than I already want to.

Oh, and if I even hear a hint of “antifa did the whole thing” I just have to leave the room before I say some snide remark that will get them all punchy.

11 Likes

I should make it clear that the only pardon power I think any President should have is the politically-useless ability to pardon the turkey at Thanksgiving.

“Ha! Remember when the President was able to give his friends and donors literal ‘get out of jail free’ passes, and not just this ceremonial pardon for the turkey? Wild how corrupt the office used to be, huh?”

4 Likes

Some people are born to succeed while others are born to be examples of what not to do with your life.

1 Like

The cavalry, in the shape of a dubious Trump pardon, never arrived.

2 Likes

This is outrageous! Doesn’t the Justice Department know there was no threat? Many People Are Saying™ that the rioters were hugging and kissing the police! Isn’t a love-in what you wanted, you crazy hippies?!

6 Likes

translation: their lawyers know full well that “showing remorse” gets your sentence cut by at least 2/3 without any heavy lifting required.

11 Likes

Hugging and kissing them sorta like this…

The bear was upon tom

13 Likes

“Following orders, blah blah blah…”

25 Likes

“Can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding…” — They Might Be Giants, Your Racist Friend

It’s funny how this one song keeps popping into my head the last 4 years.

37 Likes

So the tough crowd turns out to be not so tough after all… oh, the irony.

3 Likes