Failed Trump campaign's $200,000 bill for rally in NM now at collection agency

Originally published at: Failed Trump campaign's $200,000 bill for rally in NM now at collection agency | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Get in line, but be prepared for a long wait to try and collect from Deadbeat Donnie.

32 Likes

The best thing about these stories is that any competent law firm that might otherwise consider representing Trump in future litigation is bound to take notice too.

28 Likes

This is my favorite trump stiff so far:

Stiffing a guy who is supposed to protect your life is a bold move.

40 Likes

My favorite trump stiff hasn’t happened yet, but I anticipate a global celebration when it does.

55 Likes

McKay said he was fired in 2012, and he claims the stress of working for Trump ultimately cost him his 23-year marriage.

Been a lot of that going around.

11 Likes

Did cities at least learn that they need to get paid in advance for these things for the grift-emperor?

13 Likes

Putting liens on his properties would be nice, but probably impossible due to the cloud of corporations that Trump uses. (This isn’t his first creditor-screwing dance, after all.)

20 Likes

Trump stiffed multiple cities over the course of years. When his campaign came to each city, the people running that city had plenty of evidence this would happen again. Political pressure stopped them from insisting that Agent Orange and his gang of thieves pay up front. The Trump presidency was both the ultimate spy op (for Russia) and the ultimate con game.

25 Likes

Would be amazing if this nuked his personal credit rating.

Like so bad he can’t rent a car or book a hotel room.

9 Likes

Hence his fondness for Russian oligarchs and shady euro banks.

15 Likes

It’s almost as if he’s bilking the taxpayers for his own personal gain…hmmm. If only we’d known this about him sooner. /s
:rage:

28 Likes

The “dirt nap” is stalking him, Biggly…

15 Likes

It is beyond me why the Clinton campaign didn’t hold a six-hour press conference featuring small business owners (so, Republican catnip) whom Trump had stiffed, telling their stories one after the other.

20 Likes

Trump’s supporters are so brainwashed, they would have thought he was brilliant for stiffing them and the business owners were suckers who deserved it.

22 Likes

According to Donnie’s own logic, “that makes me smart.”

If Republicans can think it’s “good business” to gut a company, lay off workers, and maximize shareholder profit, then how is stiffing New Mexico any different.

18 Likes

more of this, please.

10 Likes

At some point, given that the Trump campaign was famous for not paying these costs, I’m surprised cities didn’t just say, “We’re not going to provide security - you’re going to have to make private arrangements for that.” and left them to it.

It’s complicated by the fact that the cities don’t have a deal with the Trump campaign - they just do what they need to do for the expected crowd sizes for events, and I’m not sure how much discussion there is between the city and the campaign about what’s going to be done (and how much it’s going to cost). When it comes to the campaign paying costs, I’m not sure how much is tradition and how much is a legal requirement. (I think if Trump had been there purely in an official capacity, the city would be on the hook, which is how the Trump campaign justified not paying.)

Yeah, I saw a lot of Trump supporters justifying it by saying, “That’s what happens when you hire someone and you’re not happy with the work” (leaving aside that Trump routinely stiffed people on goods he used and work he didn’t have re-done, so the justification never applied).

10 Likes

If he ever pays for anything himself instead of getting his staff to do it, he probably uses cash or a company card from one of a dozen shell companies.

7 Likes

Funny, but that’s how I explain Trump losing the election too.

19 Likes