Family of teen raising money to rescue her from pray-the-gay-away "boarding school"

Why is this not a surprise.

I read someplace that Washington DC might be made a state. If so, we need to kick Texas to the curb and let them wallow in their ignorance.

1 Like

Having visited someone in an in-patient psychiatric ward, they do take away your phone and internet privileges, and visiting privileges are severely limited. I assume this place runs its institution similarly, so the fact that it’s been difficult to communicate with her doesn’t surprise me.

5 Likes

You’re not being fair.
Ever since the CRC exists, Somalia hasn’t really had a stable government that didn’t have more pressing problems. They didn’t really have a chance to ratify.

Legal questions:
Do 17-year-olds really enjoy no religious freedom at all in America? Do the rights of parents completely trump all constitutional rights of the children? If so, where does it say so in the US constitution?
Why is forcing a 17-year-old to undergo a gay conversion therapy (because God wants it, for the good of the child’s immortal soul) legal, while killing a 17-year-old because [insert evil deity here] wants it for the good of the child’s immortal soul isn’t?
Just how far does the concept of “custody” of a 17-year-old go in American society?

3 Likes

Has Sarah looked into becoming an emancipated youth? The problem I foresee is that by the time her petition wound its way through the courts, even if it was granted, she would most likely already be 18.
Why not just throw in some electroshock therapy while you’re at it?

can she petition for emancipated minor status in texas? maybe not under texas religious liberty (superiority/legal discrimination) laws.

1 Like

If she were unviable fetal tissue, Texas would be protecting Sarah’s rights.

Now that she’s a real live person, fuck her! She’s property.

33 Likes

Jesus might forgive this.

I don’t. And neither should any other half-way to decent person.

7 Likes

Let’s assume the ideal world where the court system renders legally perfect decisions instantly. As I understand it, emancipation ends all obligations of parents and children towards each other. And the minors need to prove financial self-sufficiency?

Prove that you’re more of an adult than other young people your age, and you might be granted basic human rights. But kiss your inheritance and your college education goodbye.

In general, parents should have an obligation to care for their teenage child even if that child happens to have a different opinion on religious matters.

Also, I’m kind of used to the idea that 14-year-olds have a legal right to determine their own religion.

1 Like

She’s been back home with her parents since at least the 9th afaik. They brought her home.

11 Likes

I was thinking of a way she could ‘get the hell out of Dodge’ before her parents and the mindwipe camp boarding school were legally mandated to let her leave. They can do a lot of damage in the time before she turns 18. The parents are under no legal obligation to give her a college education or an inheritance regardless of whether they approve of her life choices, even though that morally sucks.

eta: Thanks, nimelennar!

Yes, it would.

Reproductive freedom is for everyone. No exceptions.

8 Likes

Of course, anything that helps is better than nothing.

And as for legal obligations: OK, not in Common Law jurisdictions. I keep being surprised by how alien that is to me. But true, it does not make much sense to complain about being deprived of a legal right that you did not have in the first place.

For reference:

Also, in Austria, parents actually have a legal obligation to contribute to a grown child’s university studies according to their means, as long as the student is proving to be suited for their chosen subject and studying diligently. But now that I think about it, I don’t see how that could possibly fit with American culture and the high monetary cost of university education there.

But I’d still consider emancipation to be an insufficient remedy; after all, the right not to be sent to a religious brainwashing camp should not be contingent on your ability to support yourself one year earlier than planned, or on your ability to prove that you’re especially mature for your age.

2 Likes

I’m all for religious freedom, even if that means allowing parents to instill hate-spewing fundamentalism In their kids.

This is not like that. This is psychological abuse and in the professions of psychiatry and counseling psychology, these kind of interventions would be considered gross malpractice.

9 Likes

I think the issue most people have here is that these parents sent their child to what amounts to a hard labor camp because they believe she is acting in defiance.

1 Like

What you don’t seem to understand is that it’s also her family who wants her out of that program.

So, which side of her family should be supported?

Should what? Support her?

Go tell them that, not us.

You make a lot of judgements and decisions on how people should behave, that’s a good username for you.

they are spending time together as a family now

Well, that sounds cheery

11 Likes

I know rite
hoping for at least some constructive conversation as a
result of the media attention. Just wanted to mKe sure ppl knew she wasn’t
still there.

3 Likes

No. In fact,

Article 1.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

It does not say, “All human beings are born property of their parents and gain freedom and equality in dignity and rights once they reach the age of majority set by the government of the United States of America.”

Oh and I do sincerely hope that nobody here needs to use google to figure out where I quoted this from.

Guide? Yes. Control, no.

From the Convention on the Rights of the Child:

Article 14

1. States Parties shall respect the right of the child to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
  1. States Parties shall respect the rights and duties of the parents and, when applicable, legal guardians, to provide direction to the child in the exercise of his or her right in a manner consistent with the evolving capacities of the child.
  1. Freedom to manifest one’s religion or beliefs may be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary to protect public safety, order, health or morals, or the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.

I know that the US hasn’t signed that treaty. And Saudi Arabia never signed the 1926 Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery, which doesn’t make slavery morally OK in Saudi Arabia.

Okay, I cannot tell Muslims and Jews to eat pork. Very true. And that would apply even to my own teenage son, if I had one and he had converted to Islam.

Why should it be wrong to interfere with a family that does not respect this basic right, and some others, for their 17-year-old daughter?

True. I always try to be accepting of people, but it never hurts to be yet more accepting of people.

No. People deserve respect, beliefs don’t.
I respect some beliefs. I tolerate others. Yet others, I despise.
Also, you don’t get to call yourself a tolerant or respectful person until you’ve proven that you can respect people who hold beliefs that you despise.

Good for her. What about the other victims?

14 Likes

The extended family who are raising the money is largely her cousin, actor Jeremy Jordan. Fans of the show Supergirl will recognize Mr. Jordan as sidekick Wynn Schott. This is a real campaign.

4 Likes