Family of teen raising money to rescue her from pray-the-gay-away "boarding school"

I was emancipated in North Carolina at 16, but my parents weren’t trying to force religion on me, so it wasn’t that difficult. I suspect her parents would actually fight the emancipation. Add to that, she’d have to have actual access to a judge to even file a petition in the first place.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that all Americans enjoy the right to freedom of religion, but ever since the Taliban took over it seems to be a real shitshow of fundamentalism and “Christian” theocratic totalitarianism.

3 Likes

I think parents who have been unquestionably proven to have abused their children are an excellent exception.

4 Likes

be careful before you jump to conclusions about my viewpoint. as i said:

since the article on bb stated she was.

To add to your point, Somalia itself has pointed this out as the reason they haven’t gotten around to ratifying U.N. treaties yet.

6 Likes

With her parents. Yayyyy.

Hopefully her extended family can continue to try to help her.

14 Likes

This map:

…is starting to look more like this one:

…and within my lifetime will look like this one:

except it probably won’t have a CNN logo on it

12 Likes

Bloody hell. The poor thing. Sounds like she’s being dragged from one hellhole to another.

1 Like

It’s no more psychological and emotional abuse than corporal punishment is physical abuse, or refusing to vaccinate your children is neglect and reckless endangerment.

I consider those last two among the most egregious things a parent can subject their children to. But I’m not in the mood to rank terrible parenting practices for which there’s no justification or reason for.

How much of a judgment is:

Parents should avoid harming their children egregiously for no goddamn reason that stands any test of reason?

ETA: Looks like I’m replying to you who is in turn replying to @preacher or whoever who managed to earn themselves a permaban. Because they’re fucking scum.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, I haven’t jumped to any conclusions, and none of the “preliminary observations” I’ve made were negative. My comment was addressed to the general public, just in case someone jumps to the conclusion that the problem is solved.

No.
First, in this particular case, we’ve got witnesses that say that their daughter turned out OK. It’s not in their genes.
Second, forced sterilization ranks about number three on my ad-hoc list of most barbaric punishments, right after punishment by more disabling mutilations (amputations, etc.) and the death penalty.
Third, there is historic precedent. But then, what happened over 70 years ago in Central Europe may not be relevant to present-day America.

1 Like

Yeah, I was leading them down the logical fallacy path when the wheels started to fall off that wagon. I try not to get too aggressive with people on their first day.

1 Like

It’s not about it being “in their genes”. This isn’t some eugenics thing, it’s taking every precaution to make sure these utter failures of parents are never allowed anywhere near a child again. Admittedly, it was said mostly in anger rather than a serious proposal, but I have zero sympathy for these parents who are knowingly, deliberately abusing their child to the point where the rest of their family has to gather money to stop them. Every parent makes mistakes, but this is on such a malevolent, egregious level that I genuinely feel they should never be allowed to even try to raise a child again.

This unnecessarily snippy bit came immediately after you quoted me. It’s also dismissive of Sarah and her situation. Yes there’s a larger problem. Don’t be a dick.

Yes, it came right after quoting you, but as I said, I was making no assumptions about your opinions. By saying that right after quoting you I was trying to contradict or criticize you. (ETA: NOT! I was NOT trying to contradict or criticize you.) I was trying to put your good news in perspective.
I do not consider it “dismissive” of the situation of one victim to point out that she’s only the most lucky of many victims. Most of the kids trapped in these institutions do not have sane relatives who know how to mount a publicity campaign. And that needs to be said. Not necessarily by you, of course.

To be in her situation and have to deal with that kind of attitude from family is not lucky at all

2 Likes

When I say, she is “most lucky of many victims” , that does not imply that she is lucky in absolute terms.

If the only reason you don’t have to deal with any attitude from family is that you’re still locked up in a place like that, because you don’t have well-connected or resourceful cousins that are on your side, then that’s a lot less lucky.

it’s a poor choice of words.

It’s a true choice of words. Are you trying to tell me that she was not luckier than the others?

I also believe that it often happens that the public latches on to one particular well-publicized case and completely ignores all the people who are worse off. I believe that truthfully stating the relative magnitude of various problems is sometimes necessary. Scope neglect is not a virtue.

Care to suggest an alternate choice of words that matches the facts and is dismissive neither of the one victim of this brainwashing camp that has been rescued nor of the many victims that remain there?

omg wow, really? this was a shit situation but her struggle is nowhere near an end. have you considered that it’s likely she’s now on “house arrest”?

“having been removed from the camp may be a more fortunate situation than that of those who are still there”

you called her “the most lucky of many victims”. I leave it to you to think further about why that was a poor choice of words.