Famous Egyptian singer faces trial for telling people not to drink water from the Nile

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/16/famous-egyptian-singer-faces-t.html

4 Likes

Is “drinking untreated river water” one of the major reasons people visit Egypt? I thought their main draws were things like ancient monuments and camel rides and whatnot.

22 Likes

Have a trial, make Hany Gad drink Nile water for the duration…

8 Likes

Yeah. The Nile, no swimming, no drinking. No way no how.

schistosomes1

(BTW Mark, it’s lunchtime here on the right coast. Thanks.)

9 Likes

“Drink Evian, it’s better,” she said.

Roger That!

3 Likes

I freaking love the 1st amendment.

7 Likes

Where is Evian in all this? They should be ponying up her legal fees.

5 Likes

“drinking untreated river water” is one of the reasons people visit India…

1 Like

6 Likes

I immediately thought of the Ganges as well. People throw the cremated remains of their loved ones into that river. However, since a lot of families cannot afford enough wood to do the job properly a lot of body parts end up floating downstream. Add that to the raw sewage, millions of people bathing, and religious offerings and you get one of the most polluted waterways in the world.

I imagine that you build up a tolerance over time to the disease and bacteria in those rivers.

4 Likes

The key question here is cui bono? Who makes money when you drink creepy river water? I can’t imagine anybody does, which is good news for our singer.

2 Likes

Yeah, reading about shit like this makes me glad I live in the U.S., flawed as it is, it wouldn’t… wait, what? We send over $1 billion a year to prop up that shitty government? Goddam it USA, come on!

2 Likes

So what is the tap water like?

https://www.madamasr.com/en/2016/07/08/feature/lifestyle/is-it-safe-to-drink-the-tap-water-in-cairo/

Yeah, pass the Evian please.

1 Like

Who do these arseholes think they’re kidding with this shoot-the-messenger crap?

3 Likes

Toilet paper companies?
Pepto Bismol?
Bored doctors who love extracting parasites from people?

1 Like

In India, maybe - I dunno. In Egypt tourists used to be warned that the parasites and pollutants in the Nile could make you extremely ill - even fatally so, if you just waded in the water without drinking it. They said that it’s impossible to build up a tolerance to them.

This was 30 or more years ago though.

1 Like

The argument is that, by saying something rude about something in Egypt, she is defaming the nation and inflicting economic damage by scaring away tourists. The fact that Nile water is dirty is not relevant.

1 Like

And here I thought you were going to continue with “continue to poison people with lead pipes.”

2 Likes

Mmmm, yummy coliform with a soupçon of corpse detritus.

2 Likes

Which hurts more, the truth or parasitic worms?

1 Like