Fan outrage kills Marvel's deal to promote real-world arms-dealers in Avengers comics

They did later sponsor KSP, which is basically modern Buzz Aldrin’s Race to Space, to be fair.

Know your Boinger and your commenters.

This seems relevant:

And so does this:

“The activation with Northrop Grumman at New York Comic Con was meant to focus on aerospace technology and exploration in a positive way,”

That’s great… why not team up with NASA?

4 Likes

While news of the meeting spread across the convention, the company had to deal with another self-inflicted wound: a partnership with Northrop Grumman was cancelled 16 hours after its initial announcement, and 14 hours before it was due to be officially unveiled at the convention. The partnership itself apparently came as a surprise to many people working at Marvel, with THR being told by multiple sources that a number of creators had privately expressed unhappiness to the company when it was announced, including threats of resignation.

Additionally, Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada told the audience at one panel during weekend that he, too, had no prior knowledge of the deal with the defense contractor. “I’ll be honest with you, I saw it for the first time [same] as you guys,” he said during the Sunday Cup O’Joe panel, adding with some understatement, “I think there were some messaging issues.”

1 Like

It is like something out of a comic book. Most notably “The Boys” which is about superheroes who are manufactured by a defense contractor who go terribly wrong.

It used an actual former defense contractor Vought American as the bad guy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.