Sub-Mariner beats up a bunch of tiny, pink-helmeted Nazi soldiers

[Read the post]

1 Like

That’s some fine work for the Writers War Board.

1 Like

This clearly illustrates the Nazis were not masculine, and therefore weak.

I’m thinking more along the lines of “red ink was being rationed”.

6 Likes

Quite the spacial distortion on that steel girder in his hand.

3 Likes

If only they wanted to ration red tape today…!

The wife and I play “Wonder Woman beats the pink-helmeted Nazi” every once in a while to spice things up…

25 Likes

The illustrator may not have had any choice in the coloring of that cover. That could have been anything from a mess-up at the 4-color printer to a solid red just being too expensive.

That said, it does also look very unique.

2 Likes

The ANGEL likes to watch.

1 Like

The eye popping color is what drew me to comics as a kid.

1 Like

Um . . . no. This is typical 4-color process printing. “Red” is simply 100% magenta ink and 100% yellow ink. There wouldn’t be a “mess-up” with the printing plant, because the colorizing process was handled at the artist’s level, even back then. There’s plenty of “red” elsewhere on the cover, however.

Nazis didn’t have red helmets in any case, nor did their flags have red circles with the swastika surrounded by a green field. I think you’re probably looking at a combination of the “demasculinization” idea, coupled with an attempt to avoid promoting the Nazi Party by portraying them inaccurately.

I also find it odd that “Mid-Channel Fort” is in English, not German. Because, of course, all military installations needed to be properly labeled!

It would be nice if someone with more knowledge and comic resources could tell us about the story in this issue.

1 Like

Um…you’re welcome to your opinion. I should also note that often the colors were done by someone else as their specific job, “Colorist”. So again, the illustrator may not have had anything to do with those color choices.

And if you think color printers can’t ever make those kinds of mistakes, especially for comic books in the 1940s…I enjoy your optimism but I don’t share it.

1 Like

This one is far more assiduously historically accurate:

Featuring the notorious u-boat DEATH RAIDER, which was so badassed it didn’t care about stealth, flying an attention-getting flag permanently affixed to the conning tower.

Why would Namor have fought the Nazis in the first place? Given his murderous hatred of surface-dwellers, it seems like he should have been on their side, what with their enthusiasm for, uh, population control.

In his first appearances Namor was an enemy of the United States. Comics historian Les Daniels noted that “Namor was a freak in the service of chaos. Although the Sub-Mariner acted like a villain, his cause had some justice, and readers reveled in his assaults on civilization. His enthusiastic fans weren’t offended by the carnage he created as he wrecked everything from ships to skyscrapers.”[6] Everett’s antihero would eventually battle Carl Burgos’ android superhero, the Human Torch, when in 1940 Namor threatened to sink the island of Manhattan underneath a tidal wave.[7] When the U.S. entered World War II, Namor would aid the Allies of World War II against Adolf Hitler and the Axis powers.

Maybe because they were big fans of rival DC Comics’ Übermensch Superman?

5 Likes

Not an “opinion”. I’ve spent forty years in the printing industry, including printing comics. Yes, the “colorist” is the “artist” in question. But that was a process at the comic company, NOT at the printing plant. The printer would have made CMYK separations of the provided color art, and would not have been making decisions on the colorization of individual areas of a given piece of art. I’m not saying that mistakes were never made by a printing facility. But this wasn’t one of them.

One of the giveaways is the fact that the “pink” of the helmets and other items in the foreground are much more intense than those farther back, which was a common technique for making the foreground focus more intense. That’s not something that would show up in a printing error. The gradation in the sky tones, railings and ladders, plus the coloration of the “explosions” and water splashes indicate that this would not have been a process of “cutting in color” at the print facility.

5 Likes

Another interesting labeling of the submarine in English instead of German!

1 Like

Did you never watch any of the Pink Panzer movies?!

12 Likes

That makes sense, since it’s there to intimidate the enemy, not remind German sailors which U-boat they’re on. Probably should be in French too though, given the target in the background.

I dunno; at least they could have lettered it in blackletter for intimidation purposes! And then French in subtitles.

Dammit, I just laughed so hard that blood came out my tear ducts.

6 Likes

Great! So as long as we’re clear that you’re not disagree with this original statement of mine, at least.