Fan with sign crashes Tour de France peloton

Originally published at: Fan with sign crashes Tour de France peloton | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

22 Likes

Congrats for all the bonus social media shares you just earned, dumbass.

5 Likes

Doesn’t look all that bad really. For sheer number of bikes downed it was huge, but they mostly just compressed together unlike the super high speed ones where bikes and riders go flying over the top of each other.

(ok yeah it was me with the sign, sorry, my bad)

10 Likes

I blame clipless pedals. At least for making it that bad.

6 Likes

Fan with sign crashes Peloton, now poor woman has to interact with her pushy uncaring husband

23 Likes

3 Likes

Oh No Friends GIF

5 Likes

Looks like the sign says “allez opi-omil”. Can’t figure out what that means

3 Likes

It’s combining French and German for some reason. “Opi” and “Omi” are German slang for grandpa and grandma, and “Allez” is French for “go”. So he’s greeting his grandparents. Stupid, but I’ve seen signs like “Hi mom!” held up by bystanders behind newscasters in the US, which is much the same thing

4 Likes

German. Weird. They’re in Brittany right now so I was searching for something in Breton.

2 Likes

Well, it seems that she did whatever was necessary for her grandparents to see the sign. Now they can see it on every major news outlet.

8 Likes

The final leg has gone within a block of my apartment several times over the years and I’m always amazed by just how close the spectators and riders are. In Paris proper there is some crowd control, but I guess over a course that long on public roadways it would be impossible to put up barriers everywhere.

In any case, I read this morning that one of the sports organizations that helps run the event has filed a complaint with the police against the woman.

7 Likes

Well according the news reports here (France), several were injured and one person had to leave the Tour because of their injuries, so it was maybe worse than it looks?

8 Likes

The Tour de France has annouced they will officially sue the woman for once.
She fled the scene btw…

6 Likes
5 Likes

This might have been the biggest crash ever in terms of people involved, but other crashes with 1/4 as many bikes downed have been worse in terms of injuries.

In fact, there was another crash 35 km later the same day that was worse than the one caused by the sign-carrier. More injuries, and 3 or 4 riders were knocked out of the Tour.

3 Likes

the crowds are one of the exciting things about the Tour, pity there isn’t a test for stupidity before letting spectators onto the course.

1 Like

The sign wasn’t even pointed towards the riders. Damn strange.

People were cycling on with broken arms from the first crash and retired overnight.

Crashes will happen because the peloton cruises at over 40kph and they are tightly packed to conserve energy. No need to go making them crash to say hello mum.

1 Like