Fans of The Police: Look for this Easter egg in your vintage 'Synchronicity' record

Originally published at: Fans of The Police: Look for this Easter egg in your vintage 'Synchronicity' record | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The vinyl LP for True Colors album by the NZ band Split Enz (great record, btw) was laser etched with geometric patterns. I think there were several different version, in fact. I know there were other artists that did this kind of etching on LPs but my memory isn’t what it used to be.

9 Likes

Kids are so cute. Like this is new and they’ve just discovered it.

This reminds me of another non-easter-easter egg: David Bowie’s last last album. Clarification on David Bowie's Blackstar cover design and sunlight - YouTube

6 Likes

That blue looks just as good if not better on cd.

/s

10 Likes

You can get the same effect if you have an inconsistent supply chain. Easter eggs!

16 Likes

i happened to pick up two copies of this exact album this weekend. a purple cover and a blue cover. already had a red one.

3 Likes

Aim a strong light at its revolving surface, instant (faint) lightshow!

I saw them on that tour (‘84?) and they were all wearing white suits - right up until the stage UV lights went on to reveal they had the same fluorescent patterns as the album. Their mad energy made the night - it was like tamed chaos.

4 Likes

I just checked my Police record and it’s plain black, but was going to mention that Split Enz LP, I used to have it. Wish I still did, though I have the digital files! Great album, lots of fun.

1 Like

Noel Crombie would have designed those suits. Nice bloke.

3 Likes

Wait, isn’t anybody wierded out by his pulling the record out of the top of the album cover?

Styx Paradise Theater was better and a couple years earlier. I had one of these but it disappeared, I know which family member took it.

And fans of the police? Is anyone on this forum fans of the police?

4 Likes

Sure. My favorite is Walking on the Moon.

1 Like

Ha. I still have mine.

Not many people know, but millions of records were pressed with this green-and-black marbling effect in the vinyl, only visible under black light. The first one I can recall discovering that about was Dave Mason’s “Alone Together”.

Oh, I remember another album now that does this - Brown Reason to Live by the Butthole Surfers.

And no, I just checked - it is but a regular boring colour vinyl album. Still, makes me realise how long it’s been since I’ve pulled it out played it.

Some may say you’re wishing your days away…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.