Fantastic footage of Florida man who stole car and then dove off bridge to evade police

Originally published at: Fantastic footage of Florida man who stole car and then dove off bridge to evade police | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This goof stole his aunts minivan and her kids (his cousins) toys. Then he jumps over 54 feet into the water. I’ve jumped from a 50 foot channel maker and it ain’t a lot of fun. He ended up in the hospital.

5 Likes

Oh, I’ve always wanted to do that, when I was younger, in better shape, and maybe life insurance too.

6 Likes

Ouch! It looks like he hit the water spread eagle on his back. He’s lucky to be alive.

9 Likes

What’s all the black stuff spewing from the van after he hits the railing?

4 Likes

Those are pumpkin seeds, it’s Fall after all…

10 Likes

looks like dark=hot (thermal camera), so I bet sparks

eta: also there’s something so cool about the heli cameras that are aware of the geographic location of the the point they are aimed at, and can remain pointed there while circling all around in the air

13 Likes

Just remember - the crazier you act when you’re being arrested, the better chance your “not of sound mind” defense will work.

2 Likes

must not have played GTA Vice City. you jump in the water and it’s:
WASTED

7 Likes

I wonder what these guys think is going to happen?

Even if there weren’t a handy police boat, he’s got to get out of the water sometime (assuming survival of jump), and it’s a hell of a lot easier for the police to get to whatever shore he heads to faster than he can.

It’s not like he’s going to swim down to his secret underwater hideout.

9 Likes

Unlike Loki, he does not lack commitment.

4 Likes

or maybe pumpkin SPICE… it is Fall after all…

4 Likes

The PUMPKIN SPICE MUST FLOW…

8 Likes

Looks like Florida Man hasn’t been putting in enough time at the springs, practicing his diving technique.

6 Likes

At least he didn’t get eaten by piranhas.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing that one or more of his tires blew and he was driving on the rims.

2 Likes

He clearly didn’t read Lowering The Bar as part of his prep work.

5 Likes

The Lethal Dose 50 for falls is 49 feet. If he lives to leaves the hospital alive, he beat the odds! He’s a genius!

1 Like

The camera is being pointed manually in this case. You can see the crosshairs bump as the pilot nudges it. There is an area tracker option but the pilot isn’t using it here. The camera also has an option where it can be locked to wherever the radar is pointing, called “slave mode” (yes, I know). You can see in the lower right corner where the text says “slave ready”. This variant is also equipped with a laser range finder, which you can see by the LRF text on the left and right sides. It’s used for generating precise coordinates of what the camera is looking at.

2 Likes

It’s Fort Myers, not Fort Meyers.

I’ve driven over that bridge.

2 Likes