Ponzi scheme suspect flees FBI on underwater scooter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/17/ponzi-scheme-suspect-flees-fbi-on-underwater-scooter.html

9 Likes

31 Likes

Ah, he forgot the step where the helicopter scoops him up from the lake. It’s a common mistake that amateurs often make.

43 Likes

Should’ve used his missiles…

21 Likes

He needed the Scooty-Puff, Sr. not the Scooty-Puff, Jr.!

23 Likes

I’ll give him points for just trying to do the criminal mastermind thing right. If you’re gonna be a villain, do it with some flair.

26 Likes

He done fucked up.

Should have made off in a hang glider.

5 Likes

I wonder where he got the idea? :thinking:

16 Likes

What I’m really enjoying is imagining the couple of minutes where he truly thought “hooray, I escaped the FBI on my underwater scooter!”

Who among us in 2020 does not wish for a such a pure moment of imbecilic glee

25 Likes

gues he needed a lake that crossed state lines

11 Likes

I am not one to blame video games for causing crime or violence, but I am comfortable saying video game logic definitely played a role in this gentleman’s escape plan. He thought he’d cross a zone boundary, trigger a loading screen, and be home free.

4 Likes

Should have done it with an underwater flare

flare

4 Likes

I feel the headline exploited my fuzzy thinking on the distinction between “flees” and “escapes” (for which I accept ultimate responsibility).

3 Likes

Lake Shasta. This probably isn’t the first (or fifth) time someone’s tried to flee arrest at Lake Shasta using a magical toy. At least this one actually existed.

8 Likes

If only his beanie had arrived in time, he’d still be in the wind:

8 Likes

Feh, real bad guys escape to their camouflaged underwater nuclear sub dock.

7 Likes
4 Likes

First time I remember seeing those underwater zoomy thingies was back in the mid 60s in the film Thunderball.

Remarkably as cool as the device is in the film, nothing but nothing tops the sight of Bond making his getaway via jet-pack in the same film!

11 Likes

How wild would it be if that was his clone they caught, and the real one is reading boingboing and laughing in his underwater lake home.

13 Likes

He might have gotten away with it if he hadn’t misplaced the keys to his underwater lair.

8 Likes