Fantastic footage of the biggest dolphin megapod ever caught on camera (video)

Originally published at: Fantastic footage of the biggest dolphin megapod ever caught on camera (video) | Boing Boing

10 Likes

What’s taking the pictures of the spy dolphin? Another spy dolphin?

Who watches the watchmen indeed

11 Likes

What amazing snouts those dolphins have; almost like a dolphin caricature.

@derioderio

9 Likes

Beautiful!

5 Likes

Spy frigate watches from above!

5 Likes

Optopus?

5 Likes

Dolphin to Spy Dolphin: “Not hungry? This school not to your taste? You don’t talk much, do you.”

4 Likes

Spy Dolphin is actually a Japanese dating sim protagonist confirmed.

6 Likes

dolphinsex.org is dead. Long live dolphinsex.org!

I saw spinner dolphins, and wondered why that name, but 30 seconds of watching the video answered that question.

4 Likes

Excited Fun GIF by Sticker Book iOS GIFs

3 Likes

I was torn between “oh, dolphin documentary, great” and “oh no, US-american documentary, they are going to ruin it by the commentary”. Color me surprised they even managed to ruin it beyond the commentary by gimmick fake Tursiops truncatus and gimmick fake Fregata magnificens.

I needed wonderful things after that.
Like this:

And this:

5 Likes

The animatronic animals may make it more interesting for the viewers and maybe entertaining to the animals they’re studying but there’s got to be a zero percent chance that the dolphins really believed that it was one of them. Dolphin sonar is amazing and they can look right through your body. Plus, even when just listening passively, whatever mechanisms were inside that contraption to make it move probably didn’t sound much like a real dolphin would.

3 Likes

In 1986, I saw a megapod of several different dolphin species. It was like a congress of dolphin that stretched almost as far to port and starboard, aboard the research vessel I was on, as far as the eye could see, and a couple of hundred meters deep. IIRC, the scientists aboard said there were Spinners, Common, Bottlenose, and Spotted dolphin. Maybe even others as well. Chief Scientist said it was “better than some orgasms I’ve had.” It was quite impressive, to say the least.

5 Likes

Somewhere at the heart of that megapod, drawn from so many different dolphins, was Dolphin Cyrus, rousing them up for the revolt.

1 Like

Well, yuck.
That is a hideous link.
Thanks for nothing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.