Far-right chats lead to disbanding of German police unit

Originally published at: Far-right chats lead to disbanding of German police unit | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Far-right extremists in Germany? Now i’ve seen everything!

10 Likes

Like the U.S., I assume all the officers will immediately be re-hired by the same or other nearby municipalities.

5 Likes

On the one hand, it’s ffabulous news that Germany is cracking down on far-right extremists. On the other hand, their existence in that country is yet more discouraging confirmation to me that the main thing allowing right-wing populism to ooze out from under the paving stones around the world is the dying out of the 1930s and 1940s from living memory.

The NYT recently released this podcast on the topic:

13 Likes

Oh, they have never been gone. It’s just that it’s not (yet :frowning: ) tolerated officially. There’s a strong shift to the (extreme) right in Germany, as everywhere.

While that might have happened had it been an internal investigation which stayed internal, I think the chances of that happening are probably slim now. That would not be a smart move for the police department on a P.R. level now the cat’s out the bag.

If an officer is cleared in the investigation, then yes. But otherwise I don’t see that happening.

7 Likes

The officers belong to the Hesse state police and presumably are from the south Hesse SEK (equivalent to SWAT), which is based in Frankfurt.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thats funny –– some in the USA believe you can’t Disband things like “Police” or “Republican Partys”.

3 Likes

This one time at Nazi Camp…

4 Likes

I don’t think they can? They’re state employees that have to swear an oath on the constitution. I don’t think they can be hired by other state institutions after something like this. Plus, municipalities don’t hire police in Germany, the federal states do. And they are the ones that just fired them.

I bet they will become security contractors of some description.

11 Likes

Far right chats in a police unit?..

We call that “Tuesday” here in the good old “We beat the Nazi’s” U.S. of A.

(and yes, I realize that there were many many more factors that led to victory over Hitler in WWII, but US Americans tend to view it through a “It was completely because of us!” view).

2 Likes

The police unit was disbanded; it doesn’t say the police officers were fired. They are probably on regular uniformed duties and shifts while the investigation tries to identify the specific offenders that will be terminated from their jobs as police officers.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yes, those security contractors that (among others) are to guard homes for asylum seekers. Never any trouble with that.

1 Like

ACAF?

(“Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?” Don’t give me that you Quisling machine!)

According to the DW article:

Aged between 29 and 54, all but one officer had been on active duty. Now, none were now allowed to perform duties, Frankfurt police chief Gerhard Bereswill explained on Wednesday. One had already been suspended.

3 Likes

I’m not saying this is a good thing?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.