Far right wins Italian election for first time since World War II; next Prime Minister promises she isn't a fascist anymore

Originally published at: Far right wins Italian election for first time since World War II; next Prime Minister promises she isn't a fascist anymore | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Another grotesque example of what we get when decades of neoliberalism hollows out the left, by buying it, so that “the left” is just a softer, corporate- and finance-funded right. A “left” that when in power does very, very little to improve ordinary lives.

33 Likes

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

11 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

16 Likes

But that “problem” only exists as long as you allow elections. Fascists (and TBF authoritarians of all stripes) seem to have a solution for “stabilizing” that issue…

27 Likes

Looks like the Italian leg of my Europe trip is canceled.

11 Likes

And I was so looking forward to retiring in Italy in a few years. Time to keep looking.

13 Likes

27 Likes

'Scuse me, gonna go tweet that picture of dead Mussolini at the gas station at a few dozen Italian fascists.

Also at a few American fascists, too.

16 Likes

14 Likes

“…no longer a fascist…”. Like a snake moulting.

10 Likes

ANYMORE?
Seriously!

2 Likes

“I had a slight case of Fascism, but it seems to have cleared up…”

11 Likes

when asked about the Italian political scene, Clinton said that “the election of the first woman prime minister in a country always represents a break with the past, and that is certainly a good thing.”

To her credit, Clinton went on to say, “as with any leader, woman or man, she must be judged by what she does.”

“I never agreed with Margaret Thatcher, but I admired her determination,” she added, referring to the former British Prime Minister who played an instrumental role in advancing the neoliberal counter-revolution in the United Kingdom.

Good god. I’m aware of neoliberalism’s cynical appropriation of identity politics, but this seems a little too obvious, even for H.R.C. Does representation really triumph over policy?

12 Likes

So, how long until we get some Ragazzi music in the same vein as songs about Thatcherism?

3 Likes

“It’s about time that a woman is fascist dictator. We can do anything we put our minds too.” :confused:

3 Likes
16 Likes

Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good, NBD. (/s)

There are real ex-fascists, but if they aren’t at least centre-left with a rejection of authoritarianism then I usually have trouble believing them. Melonia fails to get close to either of those, and uses a lot of dogwhistles. I can’t see her as anything other than a fascist.

10 Likes

Makes me think of how David Duke pinkie-promised he wasn’t part of the KKK anymore when he ran for office but somehow managed to have the enthusiastic support of every white supremacist organization in the country instead of being denounced by them as a race-traitor.

By the late 1990s he wasn’t even pretending to reject racism and antisemitism anymore, because why bother?

11 Likes