Farmers stuck with a glut of worthless avocados

Originally published at: Farmers stuck with a glut of worthless avocados | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The solution is bacon! Pigs love avocados… when I was living in Cameroon, pigs were sold right after avocado season, as farmers would fatten them up on wheelbarrows full of avocadoes.

34 Likes

Yo, avocado oil, it’s a thing.

33 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if that price came down, but who am I kidding? Prices don’t do that, silly.

16 Likes

In California, it’s around $10 US for a liter. I think that’s fair price, but I cook 3 times a day, and use it liberally.

16 Likes

That’s competitive with EVOO, which is my main oil for everything. I’d buy avo oil for $10/l in a second for something more neutral-flavored.

13 Likes

Have we not established that the avocado toast thing is BS?

1 Like

Avocado toast is fucking delicious, is what it is.

38 Likes

Great, now I’m hungry.

16 Likes

If the “thing” we’ve established is that buying it regularly is not what’s keeping young people from homeownership and economic stability, yes, we’ve established that.

Avocado toast as a comestible? That’s tasty.

32 Likes

Maybe make the world’s largest bowl of guacamole?

19 Likes

I’d swim in that.

7 Likes

Cmon millennials, step it up a bit!

7 Likes

I love avocados, but eat fewer of them than I’d like because their ripening is like:

Not yet
Not yet
Not yet
Not yet
NOW!
Too late
Too late
Too late

33 Likes

I’ll take em.

8 Likes

cheer up, Australia – the US Football season is here. process them into guac and you’ll be set to sell tons of them.

11 Likes

If you flick off the the stem barb at the end of the avo, it will tell you it’s ready state, in other words if you see yucky black, it’s way beyond it’s time, go backwards from there.

10 Likes

It appears that they can make booze out of avocados.

14 Likes

We haven’t established that avocado toast is not what is driving the global increase in avocado production, that young people buying avocado toast in cafes is not a driving force in the world economy more generally? We aren’t aware that the avocado boom is largely a result of NAFTA and the food industry?

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to scale up the region’s processing/bottling capacity fast enough to make use of this year’s crop though. The produce industry takes time and planning to adapt.

7 Likes