Fascinating video compares the heights of famous people throughout history

Originally published at: Fascinating video compares the heights of famous people throughout history | Boing Boing

3 Likes

All the sources I can find say Ramses II was 5’ 7" (and we have his mummy so it’s likely accurate). https://mummipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Ramses_II

8 Likes

I was going to say, I’ve seen it, and it wasn’t no 6’8"

7 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering how Ramses II could possibly be 6’8" unless he had some genetic condition like acromegaly (which seemed more likely because of all the inbreeding - the man married his own daughter, for example, and pharaohs often married their sisters), but it turns out that his actual height was still related to pharaonic incest…

(Though it’s also interesting how these kinds of comparison videos often have at least one thing that’s wildly wrong, because they clearly take their facts from suspect sources and don’t check them.)

3 Likes

Back then people were shorter so feet were naturally smaller

4 Likes

i’m the same height as MLK? mind blown.

2 Likes

No source listed on any of those. I’m interested in how they know these. A quick google for Alexander brings estimates of 5’4" to 5’7", average for the time. Not 4’9", though.

4 Likes

Maybe he died there (since he was last at the IAS at Princeton) but he was definitely not born in NJ.

Edit: Yes, he died at Princeton:

When Albert Einstein died of an aortic aneurysm on April 18, 1955, the Princeton Hospital pathologist on duty, Thomas Harvey, removed the great man’s brain.

6 Likes

Great news to find out that Queen Elizabeth is still alive!

3 Likes

They fucked up. King Senwosret (AKA Senusret, Senusert, Sesostris [hellenized]) III was said to be 6’8" if Memory serveth. He was a Twelfth Dynasty major warrior who put Egypt in control of more territory than ever before. He created a boundary stela in Nubia (Sudan) that said (paraphrasing here), “Any king who maintains this boundary is my true son. Any who does not, he is not my son.”

Frustrated parents in certain parts of Nubia threatened especially naughty children that King Senwosret III would come and “get” them if they didn’t behave. This continued for centuries after his passing.

These are both statues of Senwosret III.

He and his son Amenemhat III had themselves portrayed as unusually careworn even for older Egyptian kings. Their statues are strikingly distinctive.

5 Likes

This whole video is full of factual inaccuracies.

2 Likes

The creator makes no claims about accuracy. From the 'Tubes:

2 Likes

Alternate title:

“Garbage video proves content mills have not yet reached their zenith”

6 Likes

At least they used an unflattering photo of Adolph.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.