Fashion arts student stuns the crowd with his latex balloon creations that transform into dresses

I just don’t see that fashion blowing up.

3 Likes

Everyone seems very surprised that this is more art than fashion… do people not remember the Bauhaus?

17 Likes

Those arms are making me think of Junji Ito’s “The Enigma of Aragami Fault” again.

(Nope, still not gonna link to that today.)

This is couture; you’re thinking of pret a porter which is generally about next season’s looks — everything from K–Mart to Dior.

Iris Van Herpen talks about her view of couture in this Vogue interview:

11 Likes

Tip: Don’t wear these dresses with fur or you could get stuck to a wall or ceiling.

7 Likes

Most haute couture “fashion” is much more art work than it is practical apparel that’s actually meant be worn more than once.

I must, because he looks fab in everything:

18 Likes

Let’s not forget…

18 Likes

I so wish they’d taken an opportunity to prevent more plastic and latex waste rather than make balloons seem chic.

Pump it up!
'Til it’s ostentatious

2 Likes

As if I could ever; he slayed that red carpet, ‘the house down!’

The only reason I didn’t post it is because that’s absolutely formal wear, not ready-to-wear.

7 Likes

Maybe precursor to…

?

10 Likes

They were able to replace the models just in time for this show. The first show was held outdoors, and…
There were no survivors.

3 Likes

The very antithesis of pop fashion

1 Like

The models make it look better than Woody Allen did in “Sleeper.”

6 Likes

It’s a fine line between stunning and ridiculous. Tread it lightly.

2 Likes

Not bad for a BA show. I doubt the kid will need to continue with an MA to find work.

2 Likes

It’s not plastic or [synthetic] latex.
From here:

Tjærandsen adds, not all of the attention he’s received in the wake of the show has been welcome. “I’ve just had so much other shit on the internet.” Some of the driving trollies has been from misinformed eco-warriors accusing him of using plastic. Which kind of sucks when you’re actually a vegan using pesticide-free rubber tapped from a tree that doesn’t die so you don’t contribute to deforestation.

9 Likes

Women’s clothes never needs pockets! Ask any fashion designer!

3 Likes

1 Like

This style does not seem well suited for one to wear on the bus or subway.