Fashion arts student stuns the crowd with his latex balloon creations that transform into dresses

Too bad the soundtrack prevented “someone’s” enjoyment of rubber-driven squeaky sounds.

2 Likes

That one deserves a fist-pump!

Those dresses would let you make a big entrance at your party.

But only if your party has a big entrance.

4 Likes

The inflated mode looks… impressive. The deflated mode doesn’t look any worse than a lot of other “high fashion” out there.

Its the transition between those states, that just ruins it.

1 Like

I think that’s why it’s a fashion show; rather than the much more prosaic ‘next year’s catalog’.

1 Like

Latex is the term for the material made from tapped rubber tree sap, especially if not vulcanized, carbon blacked, etc. enough to be classified as bulk rubber instead.

3 Likes

A vegan
using pesticide free rubber
Tapped from a (living) tree

to make some ridiculously ugly clothes.

How about a pouch?

1 Like

They have to play the music loud because, when the models deflate their ensembles, they want to cover the 'PFFBFPFTPFFFFBFFBBFFFF…"

Also, the models have to be careful to deflate slowly, lest they fly around the room.

2 Likes

And the rubbery part of latex is Cis-1,4-polyisoprene, which is a polymer.

1 Like

It’s a fashion arts show. That’s like an art installation for clothing. The performative aspect is part of the art, it’s not something that can be fully appreciated hanging off a mannequin.

7 Likes

That’s really cool, thanks!

3 Likes

Nice, but I would not want to sit next to this guy on the subway.
#modelspreading
Screenshot_2020-01-27 Fashion arts student stuns the crowd with his latex balloon creations that transform into dresses(1)

1 Like

Gomu gomu no fashion statement!

1 Like

I totes get it that was sarcasm, but we women mutants tend to take that shit seriously; me personally, I’ll ‘cut a muthafucka’ over a lack of usable pockets.

/sarcastic humor

I might, depending on what I’m wearing:

12 Likes

I was going to post from an “I Love Lucy” episode but looking back they at least looked like they could be dresses and hats. This stuff… Not so much.

Ugliness is a subjective thing. You can make same environmental argument about any activity you disapprove.

1 Like

Some of the most intense snarkers on here might be missing the point. The clothes don’t need to be practical or easily wearable on a day to day basis. He was still a student when he made them and they are his genius response to a rather specific challenge; making clothing without stitches.
Again from the article:

…tutor Anna-Nicole Ziesche asked him, “We know you can pattern-cut and sew, what else can you do?”…
… the smooth transformation from bubble to dress is the result of a clever system of air-pressure control involving what looks like a freaky umbilical cord. There isn’t a single stitch – only welded seams

In my job I have the occasional pleasure of commissioning work from creative people. Never fashion, but plenty of other creative trades. Guys like this one are exactly the people I am looking for. People who are not put off by my sometimes rather specific and limiting requests, but instead can run with it and make something amazing and unexpected.

10 Likes

Indeed; criticizing the impractical nature of clothing on display at a fashion arts show is like criticizing the poor handling of an art car at Burning Man. Nothing you see here was ever intended for mass production or dailynothing you see here was ever intended for mass production or regular use.

7 Likes

Seriously modded, tricked out jacket! Cool!

A while ago, people down the road started noticing their dogs were disappearing and most of us think the coyotes are probably eating them. Someone posted this in that thread:

Same principle.