Fashion tips for sartorial improvement

Those are funky! I don’t have any Cydwoqs (not sure where I’d get them around here), but I am devoted to Fluevogs. Men’s Fluevogs are somewhat less fanciful than the women’s styles, but a lot of them do have fun details, and even the traditional styles often come in wonderful colors.

1 Like

I’m reading this thread, but you won’t see me contributin’ much. Why, you ask?

Currently on my feet: zombie slippers.

The only necktie I own (NSFGoodTaste, click to reveal garish cartoon ribaldry):

And here’s one of my favorite shirts for work… or for camping, for that matter. Desperately needs ironing:

So… yeah, you guys won’t be wanting my input. :wink:

19 Likes

Yes, yes you are.

Also, have you tried wearing tie clips? That way you don’t need enough extra on the short end to reach all the way to the keeper loop, just far enough to reach where you clip it. I recommend the smooth ones. The tie clips with teeth make me nervous around all that delicate silk.

Oh, and I also recommend googling 3D printed bow-ties. There are some amazing cool bow-tie STL’s out there. I went full geek at the last opera of the season with a 3D bow-tie, Star Trek delta emblem cuff-links, space shuttle earring, and a Vulcan IDIC symbol lapel pin in contrasting gold and silver. I told my wife that I didn’t think anyone would know what the lapel pin was, but she pointed out that it was somewhat implied by the other accessories.

2 Likes

OMG, that’s hilarious! :joy:

2 Likes

I’m told they aren’t too hard to sew if that interests you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As you can see, one of the few perks of being a Regular is that we can change titles. I’ve removed the offending original title, but didn’t know what exactly to replace it with. What would you like it to say?

Have I ever told you how much I love you? :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, if I had a better idea, I would have changed it myself (I think even non-Regulars can change their own threat titles).

I was just complaining for the sake of complaining.

2 Likes

Get a shirt off the rack that fits you the best you can find. Collar and shoulders and sleeve length. Then find a dry cleaners that does “alterations” - to take in the back/sides of the shirt. Not everyone place will do mens shirts, so you’ll have to ask a bit. You’ll likely have to pay as much as you paid for the shirt, but it will still be cheaper than a custom made shirt from a hong kong tailor.

3 Likes

They’ll pry my combat boots from my cold dead feet. I’ll get a note from my doctor before I’ll be dressed in sensible shoes.

2 Likes

My girlfriend would adore those boots. I would adore her in them. Where are they from?

They do.

3 Likes

Now, now- the four-in-hand knot has it’s place.
The Half-Windsor and full Windsor are pretty big symmetrical knots- which makes them fairly formal.
The slightly crooked nature of the four-in-hand gives it a less formal tone, and conveys a bit different a message. So if you’re going for the wool/knit silk tie route, the Windsor isn’t really the right choice, as you’re using a formal knot on an informal tie. See what I mean?

They are made by (for?) Harley Davidson. The price is not cheap but they are really well made. I received them for Christmas three years ago (thanks, Dad!) and they are a little scuffed and in need of some boot cream, but holding up well.

Since everyone’s talking about boots, I’ll share mine (none of these pictures are mine, but whatever):
Duluth Contractor boots.
Nike SFB
LLBean Hunting Boots

Well, my husband rarely wears a tie, so it’s not necessary, but thanks for the tip.

I was just thinking that the average height/weight has increased over years and it seems to me that ties are all the same size (lengthwise). @RatMan gave an online link, which is nice, but it still seems there is generally one size at menswear places. It seems odd. A good fit is part of looking fashionable.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m also an Aloha shirt aficionado (when it’s warm) with @Donald_Petersen (though for the three cooler months I wear poorly fitting nerd shirts with buttons, poorly fitting pants, and a tweed/corduroy jacket). If I were to try many of the tips here I’d give my coworkers heart attacks. When people come into the office wearing anything approaching business casual the panic there are panic attacks about whether they’re interviewing somewhere. I do have a nice-ish wedding/funeral suit, though, and a tie to go with it.

5 Likes

Sorry, didn’t mean that specifically for you exactly. :frowning:

I’ve found the same issues for bow ties. Even the ones adjustable to 18 inches don’t fit my 17.5 inch neck. Fortunately I don’t need to wear bow ties. :sweat:

On the topic of regular ties, anyone who is left handed or otherwise has trouble tying any version of a Windsor should try a Pratt. Looks nice and even I can tie it. :worried:

2 Likes

Yeah they are.

My fav boots are a pair of Harley Davidsons with a two and a half inch heel:

7 Likes

Those look amazing!

3 Likes