Fashion tips for sartorial improvement

IKR?

They really are, especially for a pair of “high heels”; surprisingly comfortable, as well as stylish…

3 Likes

Hahaha. A long time ago at a job where I was underappreciated and extremely underpaid, I used to dress up fancy occasionally just to mess with my bosses.

“Omg. What’s going on?”

“Oh, nothing in particular. *whistles*”

(Would not do this today since I have grown as an entity and have better social skills at my disposal. But it was so much fun.)

4 Likes

Do not ride a bike with those. The heels can get caught up on the pegs when you really don’t want them to, catch a small divot in the road when stopping, etc. Yeah they look sweet but you want flat flat flat soles for riding.

5 Likes

Wasn’t planning on it.

Those are strictly for looking good in a pair of form fitting jeans.

3 Likes

My local Men’s Wearhouse also has a rack of longer ties, but nowhere near the selection they have of regular ties. Besides being generally a pretty big guy, I have a 17" neck, and I like to wear a tie clasp. And I play around with cool knots, so I like the longer ties.

1 Like

I believe a pencil skirt could also work if form fitting jeans are unavailable:

7 Likes

I’m weird about combining boots with certain kinds of skirts.

An A-line with a taller pair is fine, but a pencil skirt with those pictured above would shorten the appearance of my legs.

This is mainly why I’m not a fan of ankle boots, aside from the fact that they chafe my joints.

Kudos for the Crybaby reference, though.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah! It’s all about knowing one’s body, right? Personally, I can’t do heels at all. I stick to either boots or Mary Janes (Docs).

I love that movie!

5 Likes

I tend to feel that if the occasion isn’t formal enough for a symmetrical knot, it’s probably not formal enough for a tie. I suppose there’s nothing inherently wrong with a four-in-hand, but to me it always looks like what a lazy kid would tie. The half WIndsor’s asymmetry just bugs me, but that’s just a personal preference.

2 Likes

I hear ya.

I have a time-clock ticking on how much longer my body can tolerate wearing heels, unfortunately.

Currently I can only wear them for a couple of hours before the strain on my ankles knees and back becomes become intolerable.

Which saddens me, because I have such a fabulous collection…

1 Like

I hear that.
I tend to go for the “rumpled professor” type of look. Ideally, I want to look like I’m headed from the library to change the oil on my car before heading out to hear an author give a talk. All in the same outfit.
As such, I wear a four-in-hand nearly every day- the tie is a standard thing for me, and I don’t want to view it as a piece of “formal wear” or anything like that.
When I wear a suit with a fine silk tie, that’s when I bust out a Windsor.

1 Like

I only have a couple of knit ties. I haven’t worn them in years, but they pair nicely with my equally few button-down collar casual shirts and dark jeans with a loose four-in-hand and an open collar. Haven’t tried that look since I was doing homework in college coffee shops. I’ll have to find an author reading and see if I can still pull it off :slight_smile:

OMG, YES. I had a boss who was SUCH a sharp dresser. I do not know how he did it, but the tied to most amazing Windsor knots (he often wore full suits to the office with tie and jewelry, just because he was a badass that way). the points at the bottom were so neat and small. I wish I had asked him his secret. It looked sooo good.

1 Like

So a whole fashion thread and nothing for the ladies but shoes??? Here’s my current fashion crush.

http://www.johnnywas.com/

5 Likes

Have you seen eskakti?

http://www.eshakti.com/default.aspx

A wide variety of styles, not too pricey, and lots of customization options (from actually body size, to sleeve type, length, etc). Oh, and their dresses have POCKETS!!!

3 Likes

Sounds very familiar…
I stepped it up a wee bit a few years ago (so no heart attacks anymore), but still tend throw folks into a tizzy when I look a bit too polished (they assume that there is some sort of audit/big-wig-visit/etc that they forgot about). I still wear aloha-class shirts a couple times a week and at least 30% of my pants have patch pockets…
I have many blazers/jackets (several of the “timeless” category), but tend to wear the dorkier ones; unstructured “fleecey” one; nylon “travel” one (it gets the most compliments because it fits really well and looks a bit more contemporary); my blue/green plaid wool one in December; etc. I do not wear ties unless absolutely necessary (or occasionally on whim a bow tie) – one big reason that I left my last job was the requirement to wear a tie every day (so I actually have a bunch of nice ties in the closet).
I also have a nice-ish wedding/funeral/etc suit (the wife also got me a trendy blue suit a few years ago that did give some folks a heart attack when I showed up at a meeting wearing it – especially my boss).

2 Likes

This is the gown I tried on the other week that I really wanted to like… but uh… I guess teenagers don’t have boobs anymore? Or mine are no longer in the place that they used to be… /sigh

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/womens-apparel/evening-dresses/striped-ball-gown-0019-a17515--24

This should be your answer in the <a href=“https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/boom-are-you-old-boom/71190"target="_blank”>Are you Old thread. :wink:

5 Likes

Your favorite shirt is giving me fits of giggles. Please, please, please, tell us that you wore that on set during Fuller House. I don’t even care if it’s a lie, I just want to imagine the discomfort Mrs. Bure would experience.

5 Likes

Great Scot! I’m wearing DM Mary Janes right now. Are yours from the early 90’s like mine?

2 Likes