'Fat Thor' calls down the lightning

Originally published at: 'Fat Thor' calls down the lightning | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I know it was mostly played as a joke but Thor’s descent into a heavy-drinking, out-of-shape layabout battling crippling depression was probably the most realistic character reaction to the events of Infinity War.

26 Likes

The Big Thorbowski

10 Likes

+1

5 Likes

That’s what I think critics of the MCU miss; there are actual stakes and the consequences of past actions still play out years later and across platforms (TV, film, D+). Sure, there’s plenty of spectacle, dumb action violence and some weak dialogue… plus you know, they’re all adolescent fantasies… but there is real heart and they establish believable relationships that resonate.

7 Likes

Our collective recent descent into a heavy-drinking, out-of-shape layabouts battling crippling depression is probably the most realistic reaction to the events of Infinity War ::gesticulates wildly::.

14 Likes

This, more or less. Thankfully, I’m already dealing with chronic, near-crippling depression and have been able to lesson some of the effects.

2 Likes

It was portrayed fairly realistically, yeah, but the jokes detracted from that reading of it. The body shaming and the fan nickname of Fat Thor also play into the infamy it has in some circles. Can we rebrand as Grief Thor? It’s better, just not as catchy.

2 Likes

I will not download and sign in to an app to view the content.

There, that’s me thinking I just called down lightning, when in fact I just made a static spark that only annoyed me.

It’s all in the timing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.