Father of Parkland victim responds to Louis CK's jokes with a "standup set" of his own

As I said the other day about this:

7 Likes

Louis CK, your Human Race card has been cancelled. Please exit the planet quietly.

2 Likes

Yup. Before it became clear that Louis CK is a creep, he seemed woke, both on stage and in life. He was generous to young performers and he leaned fairly hard into making his profession better for non-white dudes. He hired and worked with a more diverse group of people than most of his peers. It’s that, at least for me, that’s making his comeback so shitty. Apparently, the guy he seemed to be he wasn’t at all.

It’s unclear to me what he might do, if anything, to make things right but whatever that might be it’s not what he’s been doing. I get that his brand is bad taste but making it right simply can’t be done in bad taste. Actual change, at this point, can’t lean on a (however small) the reservoir of good inherent in his bad taste shtick. At this point, the best thing he might do is go hide under a rock and keep his mouth shut. A new career that doesn’t involve other people might be in order . . . graveyard digger, fire watching, or mine field cleanup.

2 Likes

Yikes. I get that Louis CK is a shit and everything he’s done just continues too make things worse for those he wronged but Alex Jones, it seems to me, is doing damage on a scale that’s several orders of magnitude larger than Louis CK. I have yet to meet a Louis CK follower (fortunately) but, alas, I’ve met more than a few people who devote a large slice of their life to following Alex Jones.

Crazy Eddie might be worse than Trump in some ways but Crazy Eddie is unlikely to start a nuclear war, therefore Trump is 1000000x worse than Crazy Eddie. Or, is there something I’m missing? Did Trump appoint Louis CK (or Crazy Eddie) to the Joint Chiefs while I was typing this?

1 Like

LCK has entered the shit pool that Jones and others like him inhabit. Think birds of a feather only with brown trout and in a sewage treatment tank.

3 Likes

After his initial public disgrace and silence, I hadn’t written him off completely. If he’d done the work and used what was left of his platform to actually fight rape culture and sexism, he could have had a deservedly long hard road back to real relevance as an artist for a lot of people. (While plenty of others would have exercised their prerogative to never want to hear from him again.) Instead he’s doubled-down into the role of a self-pitying edgelord taking no serious ownership of his actions towards the women whose lives and careers he damaged. Bastard has shown us who he really is, as much by his sexual harassment as his shameless response, and yes, it’s costing him.

Don’t assume his current behavior is without consequences for him.

11 Likes

But there is also an audience for black humor, blue humor, and satire that isn’t made up of idiots and bigots. I wouldn’t dream of defending CK’s joke until I’ve heard it or it’s context but I think there are reasonable and nuanced arguments for crafting jokes around taboo or tragic subject matter.

I’ve just seen a lot of CK defenders of late saying things along the lines of, “Yeah, those kids had it coming, the commie liars.”

7 Likes

Here’s the leaked audio:

8 Likes

Maybe don’t make jokes at the expense of victims and survivors of school shootings if you can’t handle the pushback from the families of said children?

13 Likes

Fuckin’ A.

Don’t start none, won’t be none.

But if you do ‘start some,’ then don’t be all butthurt when you ‘get some’ in return.

13 Likes

Damn straight.

Louis CK: Fuck you, school shooting survivors who have the audacity to advocate for gun policy!

Critics: You’re an asshole.

Louis CK: Well that’s just mean and uncalled for.

15 Likes

Just to be clear I still think no subject is immune from a well-crafted joke but when it comes to satire or irony it sure helps when you’re confident it’s contrary to the comics personal attitude.

You’re right about a lot of dodgy people loving/defending the material. Such cringe comedy makes me uncomfortable when I think others are enjoying it for the wrong reasons regardless of the intentions of the comic.

I see what you did there removing my quote about context out of it’s context! So I listened to the whole set (sigh) and can add that context didn’t make it any more palatable for me.

Has he responded? Generally comics that tackle taboo stuff tend to have pretty thick skins.

I have to admit that I missed LCK when he was popular, never really thought he was funny. To be honest, I’ve only seen a grand total about fifteen minutes of his work (a minute here, a few minutes there). So I didn’t have much of an opinion other than my standard in dubio pro reo stance. Much like I knew little about Al Franken the comic, only saw Al Franken the US senator. I’m kind of square like that.

So not knowing the guy, just looking at still images, you can see that he’s changed, or at least changed which audience he wants to talk to. It’s Dennis Miller all over again. Or wossname, the lady who had a sitcom with John Goodman.

2 Likes

Remember when Louis CK used to actually be funny?
Yeah, me neither.

2 Likes

Louis crossed the line long ago with his pedophile routine. I walked away then.

2 Likes

I did no such thing.

There was no need to quote your comment in entirety to get to the point I was making; you hadn’t heard the audio, but still put in your two cents, regardless.

So I did the simple research for you.

You’re welcome.

7 Likes

That, or Westboro Baptist Church…

1 Like

Depressingly typical. I think there are a lot of people who are all for the idea of equality until it somehow affects them and then their colors show. I see it pretty often with class, too, people who are all for “eat the rich” until they think that there’s even a sliver of a chance that they’ll be wealthy, then it’s straight from “moral obligation to one another by virtue of our very existence” to “fuck the poor, all they do is complain and want MY stuff.”

3 Likes

Apologies, that “!” was supposed to signify a joke rather that exasperation. My text based communication skills leave a lot to be desired. I did appreciate your link (hence my “like”).

Edit: My two cents was on topic. but if I’m going to listen to an offensive line from a shock comedian I’m gonna listen to the whole bit in it’s context.