FBI agent accidentally shoots patron while dancing at a crowded bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/04/fbi-agent-accidentally-shoots.html

5 Likes

Well I got to give credit. He can really bust a move. I don’t know if that’s going to help at his hearing.

10 Likes

There’s a metaphor for gun control policy somewhere in there.

25 Likes

He looks less like an FBI agent and more like one of those guys who tells women in bars that he works for an intelligence agency but can’t talk about it.

26 Likes

Christ what an asshole.

11 Likes

just a couple of observations:

• gun tucked into waistband of pants - not in safe holster?
  • gun appears to not have safety engaged as picking it up and squeezing trigger fires shot
  • man seems unconcerned that he just fired gun into a crowd

Is it normal for off-duty officers to carry a sidearm to socialize? That just does not sound like a good idea to me.

24 Likes

29 Likes

FBI special agents are permitted to carry 24/7.

When I had a relative in the FBI, his office encouraged SAs to obtain secondary weapons from an approved list, and to carry both during on-duty hours, and the secondary at all times. (He always locked both of his into a safe welded into the trunk of his car, though, as soon as he got home, because he didn’t want guns around his family.)

10 Likes

You have to wonder - do we even have an equivalent of DWI laws for gun handling? Shouldn’t it simply be against the law to handle or carry a gun while intoxicated?

23 Likes

A common sense restriction on carrying firearms? Stop trying to take my guns away!

23 Likes

So the officer pulls me over, asks me to step out of the car, asks me how many rounds I’ve fired that evening. Then I have to fire my gun in a straight line to prove that I’m not “gun impaired.”

Lucky for me, I never drink until after committing a gun-related crime, so he let me go with a warning.

15 Likes

It is against the law for drinkin’ and shootin’, at least in Colorado. DPD is supposedly looking into it, but since he was immediately whisked away to the custody of a supervisor, and not allowed to be questioned by local law enforcement, it will be difficult to determine after the fact how drunk he was. He was a tourist (I don’t care if he was here on business, all visitors act like tourists when they get here), so I’m going to assume he was drinking like he was out of town on vacation.

“Welcome to colorful Colorado. Now that you’ve seen it, LEAVE!”
- old bumper stickers

Edit: My mistake - he did get his blood drawn before FBI whisked him away. BUT…Colorado has some of the most lenient drinking laws in the country. You can kill people with your car without any real consequences, don’t be surprised if he just gets charged with ‘littering’ or something BS.

6 Likes

There are several relatively safe holsters that remain concealed in one’s pants on the small of the back. I don’t know if they are designed to keep the pistol in place during a backflip or not.

Completely valid points, and also why an ostensibly trained person would put their finger in the trigger guard to pick up a gun is beyond me. Day one firearm safety there.

12 Likes

Mu, mu, mu freedums though.

Also… I ONLY shoot people when I’m drunk.

4 Likes

Where was the good dancer with a gun to protect everyone?

45 Likes

Ha, its more like this:

Pulled over for DWI or disorderly conduct & carrying, or firing a gun in a public place, and turns out your intoxicated - pile on the charges.

2 Likes

Good thing agent ShootyMcShootLeg didn’t look down the barrel. This alone makes him seem over-qualified for a Trump cabinet position. Too smart to get mixed up with this ‘administration’, yet too dumb to not keep a round in the chamber.

I look forward to hearing about this genius and his forthcoming Darwin Award.

2 Likes

com-optimize%20(6)

5 Likes

You people act like you’ve never seen a Ballroom Blitz.

11 Likes

He was in a bar - so I’m going to assume he was drinking. What’s the FBI policy on packing while drinking?

6 Likes