FBI agent accidentally shoots patron while dancing at a crowded bar

Believe he had an inside the waist band holster. They are super common, but don’t generally have hard retention like a cops side arm. Thus it may fall out when doing a flip.

IIRC the FBI standard issue is Glocks, which do have internal safeties, making the drop safe, they don’t have external safeties. Similar to the old double action revolvers, the gun cocks with the trigger pull. NYC has them modified to a comically brutal 10lb trigger pull to avoid accidental discharges.

Moral of the story - keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

I got nothing. Maybe saw Super Troopers one too many times?

From what I gathered - YES. Off duty cops and FBI etc are armed all the time.

7 Likes

This should cause the collective head of the WH to explode: Do you downplay what happened since it touches on allowing guns into public places (for self-protection), or do you use this as an opportunity to further tarnish the FBI?

12 Likes

Oh, not just ‘a bar’ - it was a micro-distillery called The Mile High Spirits Distillery and Tasting Bar. People don’t go there to eat tapas. Also, the micro-distillery is in a part of downtown with wall-to-wall bars notorious for spewing forth ‘over-served’ yuppie patrons at closing time who mill around outside and punch each other before stumbling to their cars and driving away.

Edit: Local news announced the agent’s name is Chip Bishop. Really? Chip Bishop? That sounds like a descriptor you give some preppy a-hole that dings your car or barfs in your shrubbery when you rant online. That name has to be an alias.

8 Likes

His “my bad” shrug as he goes off in some other direction afterwards is rather amazing.
Given how often police, FBI and soldiers accidentally shoot someone, you’d think arming teachers (and giving them next-to-no training in comparison) would be a bad idea on the face of it…

Sadly, that’s pretty universal in this country.

10 Likes

That’s easy.

Using their definitions, he’s a bad guy with a gun. Therefore what we need is more good people with guns to stop him.

6 Likes

Is that you, Mrs. Sanders?

1 Like

Let’s not over generalize. This just proves we shouldn’t arm dance teachers.

10 Likes

I don’t know what kind of gun it was, but if it was a Glock, they have lots of protection against firing when dropped, but no manual safety because … “Your finger is the safety!”

4 Likes

If you do accidentally shoot someone, don’t smile and walk away like this d-bag. Get them help, apologize, then take them to the hospital and pay the bill.

6 Likes

Yes. This. And his grin that went with the shrug…

29%20PM

That said, scrubbing the video backward to find that image, and watching him remove a gun from his pants, fire it, set it on the floor, and then do a backward leap while the gun flies back into his pants ending with a funky chicken victory dance is probably the funniest thing I’ve seen all day.

8 Likes

It’s a shame there wasn’t a bad guy with a gun to stop him.

5 Likes

This calls for a quote from Goodfellas: Dance you motherfucker! Dance!

1 Like

Also:

• why was there a round up the spout?

I asked a question over on Reddit /r/NoStupidQuestions; I learned that:

• modern police weapons don’t even have a safety mechanism (WTF?)
  • the 1/2 to 1 second required to get a round up the spout would put the gun user at a disadvantage;
  • most police, open, or concealed carriers will have a round up the spout at all times (such as dancing at a bar…)

Seems to me this sort of posture might lead to accidents.

6 Likes

In what 3rd-rate shithole of a country does one have to pay a hospital bill?

12 Likes

Spoiler alert: They won’t be filing any charges. Ever.

1 Like

Another one of these “responsible gun owners” I keep hearing about.

5 Likes

Yes, but this is nothing new. All those revolvers back in the day before semi-automatics were widely carried, none of them had safeties either.

Now some semi-automatic pistols have external safeties, it boils down to the design and the trigger. Pistol triggers come in two main types - single action and double action. In most guns you have a hammer with a firing pin or that hits a firing pin which hits the primer, firing the bullet. A single action means you have to manually cock it, and pulling the trigger causes the hammer to fire. Double action will cock the hammer and then allow it to fall at the end of the pull.

So old cowboy revolver guns, the venerable 1911, and most hammer fired semiautomatics like say a Sig P226 or CZ-75 are all single action. A semiautomatic like this will usually have a safety. Revolvers will not.

Things like old and new revolvers from Smith and Wesson or Colt, the kind used by police for decades, are typically double action. They can be cocked manually for a light, accurate shot, or cocked and fired with one long, heavy pull. They don’t have safeties.

Semi-automatics can have both options as well, firing in single action, or having the hammer decocked and firing in a long, double action pull, like the Army’s M-9/Beretta F92. These will typically have a safety option.

Glocks and the myriad of similar guns us a slightly different method and are called “striker fired”. There is no single action option, just double action. Instead of a hammer they have an internal striker that hits the primer. The trigger as it is pulled cocks the striker fully and lowers the striker block, allowing it to fire. They can be more safe in drop incidents, as a gun with a hammer can sometimes fire if dropped and hitting the hammer just right (old cowboy guns had no safety measure to prevent this, thus when you rode with one, you kept one chamber empty.) But due to the longer pull, and the drop safe nature, most of these guns lack safeties. There are some models like the S&W M&P that have it as an option, and I think there is an after market kit a gunsmith can install on a Glock, but in most cases they both lack safeties and generally aren’t seen as needing one, though they require a bit more caution.

(Note safety or no, NEVER have the gun pointing at someone, and never have your finger on the trigger unless ready to fire.)

Yep - other than the really old designs that were not safe to do so, most people who carry, carry one in the barrel. This is done by millions of people safely everyday, even criminals. The call it “Israeli-Carry” if you don’t carry in the chamber, as the Israeli police used to carry this way (not sure if that is still the case). This is why it is important to have a good holster that keeps everything properly orientated as well.

Yep - certain things you shouldn’t be doing when carrying. Though Federal and State/Local police almost always have exceptions to where one can and cannot carry. Even in “restricted” areas it is reduced to a slap on the wrist even if it isn’t technically legal. Some animals are more specials.

State laws on civilians carrying in bars vary, but even then I don’t know of any that allow drinking. But given this guy is an FBI agent, the worst that will happen is some shit desk job for awhile, probably. Worst case he loses his job. If he gets charged I will be gobsmacked, because some animals are more special.

3 Likes

There is no valid reason for not arresting him and charging him with assault with a deadly weapon. Any time you see it referred to the DA like this, the fix is in.

If he’s been Joe blow he would have been arrested on the spot, probably with a good deal of violence from the cops. This is the definition of corruption and bullshit!

1 Like

This sort of posture in no way leads to accidents.

It leads to intentionals. Because they are intentionally making their weapon and the world around themselves much less safe.

4 Likes

It is, as John McAfee found out. Nothing’s illegal if you’re a cop, though.

1 Like