FBI decided not to force entry through front door to preserve fancy neighborhood's "aesthetics"

such a class-based distinction is apt to have a racially disproportionate impact

Interesting how the writer seems to think that the only way to make Americans care about class injustice is to point out the fact that it is also racist in its impact (which it absolutely is, of course).

2 Likes

So, it’s true, but… what, we shouldn’t believe that? Or we shouldn’t focus on the disproportionate racist impact? I don’t understand your complaint here, when it’s very much the facts of American life…

7 Likes

I don’t disagree with the wording, and I can’t speak for @lolarusa , but I do wish we in this country could get all the people living in or near poverty to understand that this kind of bs hurts us all, and finally join together.
With our current GQP death cult, it feels like a pipe dream, though.

ETA- you know, not just those living near poverty. ALL of us. It hurts all of us. I wish more people would get that, in general.

7 Likes

where the median household income is about $175,000 and nearly three-quarters of the residents are white

So ~1/4 of the affluent neighborhood is non-White. That’s not insignificant. Had the agents known that

3 Likes

“Rich” often leads to (or can flow from) “political” connections. Least common denominator: Big donors.

2 Likes

Sure, but I don’t think we do that by ignoring the specifics of our social structures, which includes race as a class that has an impact on specific people that differs from the experiences of white people dealing with poverty. I don’t know how we can deal with that, without directly addressing it.

7 Likes

It’s also interesting that often the only way to get some to care about race (and other) injustices is to point out that they often have class implications.

11 Likes

I Mean Law And Order GIF by SVU

8 Likes

ClutchLinkey has put it better than I did. Too often an injustice against non-rich people in general is reframed by a reflexive reference to race, and I sometimes wonder if the result may be to make white readers (who are probably in the majority of readers of Reason) feel they don’t have a direct stake in the events described, when they absolutely do.

For dudes who pride themselves on their reasoning- they seem a bit limited.

3 Likes

that ordering too is slightly wrong

6:48:03: Officer Aaron Pearson quietly unlocks the door and backs away. Sysaath, Carlson, officers Mark Hanneman, Pearson, Dominic Manelli, Conan Hickey, Nathan Sundberg and Ryan Carrero and Sgt. John Biederman enter in that order. Each one announces, in overlapping shouts, “Police, search warrant,” as they enter

emphasis mine.

in a way, it doesn’t matter if you’re asleep and someone screams before entering, as opposed to while they’re entering - it’s the entire approach that’s wrong. but it does indicate the mentality of those involved

minneapolis police specifically sought out the no knock warrant, despite st paul’s police only requesting a knock and announce

6 Likes

That’s what I was trying to say.

2 Likes

It often does have a reference to race, because I’d argue that it is incredibly hard to extract that from class in America. It’s almost impossible to do, because of how race and class were constructed together in this country. If everything is tinged with race, it’s because that’s how it was made.

But the thing is (however Reason attempts to frame things), it is the problem for white people to solve. Racism is a problem FOR POC, and a problem caused BY white people, especially those who wish to erase the discussion on race at all, rather than deal with it head on.

And yeah, Reason has lots of blind spots, being a libertarian magazine and all.

8 Likes

Right. Racism in the United States is a problem that can’t be solved without the work of a lot of white people. And white working class people in the U.S. can use some reminders of the class interests that they share with people of color, particular working class POC, but the media, intentionally or inadvertently, often presents inequality as black people’s problem. Heather McGee’s ideas about “drained pool politics” are very eloquent about communicating the value of racial solidarity to the white majority by talking about the injustices we all face and waking white people up to how racism hurts everyone.

2 Likes

TBTB: The bastards that be?

4 Likes

I don’t think the aesthetics of a potential broken front door was the issue. It sounds like they were worried about performing a raid at the front of the house since it was presumably more visible to the public (read: rich neighbors) than the back of the house.

Yes! It was a typo, but when I went to fix it I thought, “you know, that works.”

3 Likes

Because they couldn’t possibly understand that and STILL be engaged in racism?

I think one big mistake we make about racism is that it’s JUST driven from above. It can be, but it’s not just that.

5 Likes

IOW:

I agree. Racism is a motivating factor for lots of people. And messages that encourage identification and solidarity can matter with a lot of other people who are otherwise disengaged. Both things are true.