FBI Director: viral videos make cops afraid to do their jobs

If “doing their jobs” = punching, kicking, or otherwise brutalizing SUSPECTS, then GOOD! Their job is not to mete out justice.

2 Likes

So, cops are pulling away from violent confrontations… how does that have any effect on the rise in violent crime that takes place PRIOR to the arrival of any cops?

4 Likes

Imma just leave this here.

7 Likes

That’s an interesting point. I have the impression that on Blue Bloods, at least (the only police procedural I ever see, and don’t ask), they’ve adjusted the story lines somewhat to include the new reality of what we know about police. Suspects are asking for lawyers sooner, Detective Danny says an extra few words about what the police can’t do and expect to get away with, stuff like that. In this show at least, it’s a mild change but still a change… I wonder how it is on other shows.

1 Like

FBI Director: viral videos make cops afraid to do their jobs… badly.

There, fixed it for ya’.

6 Likes

/thread

1 Like

or a lot of crime proceedurals depicting a lot of 'we know this person is guilty as sin but we’re getting hamstrung because of little things like proceedure, bleeding heart rights activists, and grandstanding assholes with money?

Whatever do you mean? (/s)

1 Like

I wouldn’t call 24 a procedural by any stretch. But one sees the adversarial legal system reflected in the attitudes of more, ah, law-abiding characters like the district attorneys on Law & Order – Sam Waterston’s character springs to mind; he doesn’t rail about bleeding heart liberals or sleazy defense attorneys or technicalities, but he is incapable of allowing himself to consider that a suspect might be innocent.

7 Likes

straight out of Brazil.

1 Like

Also referring to the trend that a lot of times the suspect they have is actually the guy, or if not the guy guilty of something (or just extra creepy.) Or a suspect will lawyer up and the way the show portrays it is the suspect’s pulling one over and the lawyer is grasping at straws.

How in the hell has Stabler not been drummed out of the force for being anger prone and mentally unstable?

1 Like

You ain’t kidding!

1 Like

There was The Shield. Was that any good?

Nah. The Shield was more like, cops doing their job in spite of the rules, and if they take some money on the side to support their families then so what? It was a Fox show set in the Fox universe.

3 Likes

Perhaps from the perspective of Comey and those he serves the police’s “job” is violence against and intimidation of minority populations

This. MrPants is criminal defence and has ruined all cop shows for me! “That’s illegal! Thats assault! They cant search taht car!” For fun sometimes i put on SVU and wait for him to yell at the TV, average time is 2 minutes. :wink: You ever notice how sleezy lawyer areally portrayed too? All evil and lacking morals!

12 Likes

If you cite me, I’ll just get disappeared that much faster.

2 Likes

"We can’t do our job if people video us "

Next year

"We can’t do our job if we are held accountable at normal court "

Next year

"We can’t do our job if you let cities pick the police chief , the force should pick him "

and so on till they just rule the Country

7 Likes

As with the case of that marriage license clerk, I keep being surprised at people who find it impossible for a variety of reasons to do their job, but (presumably) find no practical or ethical problem with taking their pay.

9 Likes

Yes, they are a Police ‘Force’… it’s their jobs to use violence against the citizens of the area they patrol. This is why they should not exist and unarmed but arms trained Civilian Protection Services, with direct citizen oversight, should be put into place to replace them.

We can still have SWAT teams in major cities, or by county, to act like Firemen: be on duty and prepared when an emergency situation occurs.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t either, but it did push the boundaries of what both law enforcement and bad guys do on tee vee. Not unlike Dirty Harry did.

I believe the proceedurals just moved their center accordingly. That clip ~is~ in an interrogation room, after all.