FBI is investigating #Gamergate

12 Likes

Hmm, gamergate thread, one brand new account already…

(…before the inevitable depressing sadness comes)

11 Likes

To be fair, Dustin_Geels was upfront about being here to speak for #GG. My usual complaint about people with new accounts posting on controversial topics is that they’re dishonest about it.

16 Likes

That is the best gif I’ve ever seen.

On another note, as a woman who games you guys make me so happy. It’s such a relief to be around people who get it. Of course my RL friends do, but since most of the “battle” takes place on the internet it’s nice to feel like there’s allies here too.

7 Likes

Totally agree…despite being a NON-gamer woman with (mostly) non-gamer daughters.

2 Likes

It’s much easier in that case to default to viewing the events the group originated from as being representative of the group. Which is part of why Gamergaters end up spending so much more time telling people what Gamergate is really about instead of actually doing those things (oddly enough, if they spent more time actually doing those things, people would be more inclined to believe them).

“The purpose of a system is what it does.”

1 Like

I don’t think Gamergaters doing the things they say they are for would change the narrative that much. From what I’ve read in their forums, “ethics in game journalism” is synonymous to them with purging “SJWs” from gaming. That the media is unethical/biased just for giving a critical perspective any sort of platform. This is why the impetus for GG was an unknown indie developer with feminist politics, rather than the numerous, numerous examples of how gaming media has long been the PR arm of the industry. To them issue of ethics is entirely one of not challenging ideological conformity, rather than the gaming media routinely giving good reviews to subpar big budget games, or undisclosed paid-to-play segments from popular games video bloggers. Which is why I’ve seen so many graphics listing what GGers consider an “objective” review which include discussion of graphics and play mechanics, emphasis on money’s worth, and forbidding any sort of discussion of political/social issues in the game or gaming industry.

Furthermore, the structure of Gamergate impedes any sort of long term action, as there is no structure to keep the movement unified and goal oriented, instead of fragmenting into competing groups that have radically different ideas about what they are trying to accomplish and how. And while it formally has no leader, it has been quite susceptible to de facto ones appearing, like a number of opportunistic right wingers with histories of attacking gaming as a hobby (they’ve got Jack Thompson on their side ffs!).

5 Likes

Well, yeah, but I meant actually doing the things they say they’re for, not doing other stuff while just saying they’re for those things. :slight_smile:

Oh but they are doing what they say they’re for, just that most people don’t think that journalism ethics and a political purge are the same thing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.