FBI releases video of militiaman shooting

And this is exactly why they were so hands off an careful about the situation. Because no matter how factual, logical, etc, the evidence is this is the narrative that will be in their heads. A martyr for the cause,

6 Likes

1 Like

Which is not to say that Germans can’t botch this sort of thing, too – the most egregious case in recent history is probably this one.

Oh, definitely.

Having been approached and bitten by a small dog, I’m willing to bet he was calling it a day ~2.6 seconds into that encounter. I noticed that the LEOs involved had a K-9 unit at the first place they stopped Finicum, though his eventual stopping place was so deep in the snow that it might’ve been too dangerous to use a K-9 at that point. But I agree with the premise of K-9s as a good way to mitigate death by cop.

Obviously there are very many differences between the two situations, including the fact that Fred Hampton was a very cool guy while this militia dude is a shitbag, and Hampton was obviously not an immediate threat while with this guy it’s more ambiguous.

What i was more interested in was a particular similarity, but I can see how the differences could be too distracting. So you’re probably right, it’s not actually easy to see parallels.

I guess if you know that the conclusion I’m arguing for could only be held by a delusional person, then my entire line of reasoning could appear as rationalization. But I think that:
a) you probably misunderstand my conclusion, as evidenced by the “intro to racism” gif you posted
b) maybe i’m not delusional, I’m just mistaken. If so, we could make progress by discussing it. If you don’t have time or interest in a discussion, that’s ok. But there’s no need to justify that by using “trolley” or “crazy”.

I’m inclined to agree, personally. But it’s kind of creepy to think that the government would use our political tendencies to decide how confrontational/violent to be with us, right? I mean, I know a lot of activists whose rhetoric could lead outsiders to put them in the “same class of left-wing crazies” as the Symbionese Liberation Army, but in practice they’re nothing alike.

This kind of thing has become abundantly clear in the “War on Terror/Muslims”, where people are very quick to decide that because a group of people practice a particularly conservative brand of Islam and talk about holy war against all infidels, they are basically Al-Qaeda. But it turns out that actually quite a lot of people in the world hold those beliefs, and almost all of them are harmless.

You know what does get harmless people rowdy though? A martyr.

That’s an interesting way of putting it.

Those people took up arms against their government. Yes, there are situations when that is appropriate. However you do not cross the Rubicon lightly. You have to be prepared to either overthrow your government or get smacked down hard. You can’t reasonably expect to walk away from that as a free man. At least in America they had every chance in the world to come out of this alive and get out of prison eventually.

3 Likes

More to the point, it’s actually POINTLESS to see parallels. Plus downright offensive.

6 Likes

I never said that. Please do not put words in my mouth. My point was that the two situations are quite different. I’m not advocating for the assassination of these guys or claiming they are evil. I’m saying that the two situations are not alike. The militia dudes are not being victimized by an organized government conspiracy to oppress them, while, clearly Hampton was in fact being victimized in just this fashion. Bundy’s groups demands are not grounded in any sort of reality, while Hampton and the Panthers (whether you agree with them or not) had specific demands grounded in reality.

But if you see parallels, can you elaborate on that point, please and show me where they exist. I’m not seeing them, other than the fact that the FBI is involved in both instances.

6 Likes

Some of the gents on the ranch were open admirers of the perpetrators of the second largest terrorist attack on US soil. The vast majority of them had the political tendency of expressing justifications for political violence (usually delusionally framed as “self-defense” - If the cops come to arrest, it’s only self defense to fire on them). It’s really not creepy to me for law enforcement to take that kind of thing into account, actually I’d find it disturbing if they didn’t. That was also all speculation on my part and not stated justifications by law enforcement for the whys and hows of their ongoing operations.

3 Likes

not only, just in this case, and on this topic, and you.

but not only. That sort of righteous language and projection of it onto others is just further evidence of magical thinking.

No, I said that. I think that Fred Hampton was a very cool guy and the militia dude was a shitbag. I guess I assumed you did also, but maybe we’ve both been assuming too much…

I don’t want to repeat myself too much because it’s annoying and doesn’t create clarity, but to summarize the parallel is that politics - specifically militant anti-government bravado - was brought up in both cases as part of the debate around justification for a police confrontation and shooting. So invoking that justification in this case could set a social precedent for the Fred Hamptons of the future. I don’t actually know, but it seems at least worth worrying about.

Yeah, but my online handle is Moroni'); DROP TABLE Suspects;--

###JOKES ON YOU FED!

6 Likes

brought up as an secondary or tertiary “justification”. Not primary.

Primary reasons being a shitload of provocation (most of which was obviously bluster) up to and including near deadly force used by the deceased moments before he became so.

Why are you so intent on making a comparison with a Black Panther?

Apples and sawhorses.

Fuck. I clicked the link.

6 Likes

Okay, fair enough on that. I do agree that Hampton is cool. I don’t know if the militia dude is a shitbag, but likely.

So if they are similar, it’s on the side of the FBI, not parallels between Hampton and Lavoy (that his name?). I’m not sure I agree, but fair enough again.

To me, the Black Panthers are a good example of a pretty righteous militant anti-government movement, and the Bundy Militia is a good example of a very un-righteous militant anti-government movement. I realize there are dramatic and important differences. I am comparing, not equating. But to the cops, the government, and a lot of mainstream society, they’re both just militant anti-government movements.

I think it’s useful and important to focus on the righteous/un-righteous debate. But it may be ultimately counterproductive to endorse violent state action against the militia on the basis of their militant anti-government rhetoric, because of the implications for more righteous movements.

There may be other recordings, with audio/video, but mixing audio from one source with video from another is a COMPLETE journalism and legal no-no.

Well put. I think another good general rule for armed rebellions is “they are destined to fail unless you convince a plurality (if not outright majority) of citizens that your cause is just.”

It’s hard enough taking on a government that has you outgunned by several orders of magnitude. It’s downright impossible if most of your countrymen are rooting against you.

2 Likes

Sorry this is so late, but I looked at the video again and I stand by what I said.

I extended the line (red) of the shooter’s left forearm through his pistol and into the distance. I also extended a line (solid black) from his wrist to the back of the perp’s truck. Everything “above” the black line is behind cover of that truck.
I claimed “with pretty much everyone else directly behind the intended target” and you can see 4 (of 5) non-perps in frame lie between those lines. I will concede they are largely behind cover of the LEO trucks, but with the flanking trooper’s higher elevation, they are still exposed. Not to mention he’s on uneven snow, fully extended and moving, all of which increase his likelihood of missing. A better-executed pincer would have put the shooter closer to the green line, about the shallowest I could come up with that puts missed shots “above” the other LEOs.
You’re right, he had to carefully balance not entering whatshisname’s sight, and staying out of the other engaged trooper’s line of fire, Not an easy task, and he seemed to have naaaailed it(!), so he gets a pass this time.

4 Likes