"Fear is not freedom!" Watch as a 101-year-old woman protests a Florida book ban

Originally published at: "Fear is not freedom!" Watch as a 101-year-old woman protests a Florida book ban | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Inspiring. You don’t get to 101 by being a dummy and letting people pull the wool over your eyes. Reminds me of my recently deceased grandmother in-law, who was only too happy to tear a strip off of cynical politicians or craven bureaucrats.

20 Likes

Here’s her full statement:

30 Likes

Thank you for sharing the full speech. I will share it with my young kids today. Powerful little speech.

What’s with the big cop at the end?

8 Likes

Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

• Christopher Hitchens
5 Likes

He’s setting up the mic at the beginning. He’s the A/V guy and security, I’d guess.

That said, thanks for sharing that whole video. The clips were nice but her whole string was better.

5 Likes

The living memory of those who experienced great loss due to the Nazis may be dwindling in numbers but they make up for it in power and conviction. An important reminder of DeSantis’ true historical compatriots.

5 Likes

Fear is not freedom.
Fear is not liberty.
Fear is control.

8 Likes

Pravin Lal:
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth’s final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

A quote from Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri

4 Likes

She is wonderful. I hope her message spreads widely.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.