Fear of toppling hasn't discouraged buyers or renters at San Francisco's leaning Millennium Tower

Originally published at: Fear of toppling hasn't discouraged buyers or renters at San Francisco's leaning Millennium Tower | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Sheesh…more stories about “listings” at this tilting tower. Slanted journalism?

32 Likes

Actually makes sense. Buy one, rent it for more than the monthly mortgage, and wait for the building to collapse when your sweet, sweet insurance policy kicks in and pays you out, or you get to sue for damages. Just don’t live there yourself.

(slow clap) Nicely played.

26 Likes

That’s reel estate for ya.

3 Likes

Affordable real estate in San Francisco is so hard to come by these days that you could probably find a buyer for the apartment in the “This is Fine” meme if it was listed under $2 Million.

18 Likes

There’s a connection between investing in leaning towers, cryptocoinage, and NFTs(!) or so says my yarn conspiracy board. (“yeah but your yarn board has a connection between disney remakes and bubble tea”)

9 Likes

the stupidity of people no longer surprises me. even if as @cepheus42 says, you have a back up plan. why put yourself, or the person you rented to under that kind of strain? i sympathize with people who were already there before the problems were reported. i have no words for the people who have been buying there since.

10 Likes

Sláinte!
Full tilt boogie

1 Like

“I’d gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today”. It’s the punter’s way.

7 Likes

???

7 Likes
10 Likes

ahhh, TIL. English is hard.

9 Likes

This is the answer. That thing’s gonna fall over - it’s not an ‘if’, it’s a ‘when’. People will figure out how to profit from that tragedy.

8 Likes

I think the general consensus among residents is that it will be fixed, though the engineering crew has recently gone to late night (possibly 24 hour) construction mode, not sure if that is a good or bad sign. Of course It would be a better idea to wait for the construction to finish before buying anything. I am very nearby and even saw our mayor casually go to lunch at the restaurant on the ground level. Though it might not be a sound investment, we are not at panic stage yet.

2 Likes

I understand renting it out for more than mortgage payments … but doesn’t insurance take into account things like “you knew the building was precarious?”

6 Likes

“The members of Einstürzende Neubauten were unavailable for comment…”

3 Likes

After the Florida condo collapse my faith in “business as usual” to take care of these things is even less than it was before

14 Likes

Hopefully the city of San Francisco will have the prudence and political will to condemn it for demolition before the literal tipping point. But as @smulder says, the Champlain Towers collapse, Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse and other American tofu-dreg infrastructure doesn’t inspire confidence. That said, if the Millennium Tower is actually allowed to fall, it’s going to take out a lot of stuff around it.

9 Likes

“…engineers and architects keep discovering things the chief engineer says aren’t problems.”

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!

6 Likes

Also that was a place-kick, not a punt. Football too can be hard. :slight_smile:

5 Likes