Fear of toppling hasn't discouraged buyers or renters at San Francisco's leaning Millennium Tower

$66,000/year for rent in a notoriously badly built structure? I can understand paying that kind of money for a mortgage if your cash flow is that massive, but throwing that away in rent is insane. (This comment is from a person that lives in Vancouver, where downtown 300 sq/ft. apartments can go for up to $1400/month.)

5 Likes

Add this to the “more money than sense” file.

3 Likes

Or to the “there’s a sucker born every minute” file. Also proof that wealth doesn’t mean you’re smart.

3 Likes

This is consistent with a lot of people not wanting the live in the building right now. Those who can wait to sell and believe prices will recover rent out their units. And those who can’t wait or believe prices won’t recover sell at a discount during a hot market.

The name just needs to be changed to the Milleannium Tower.

11 Likes

Yeah, couldn’t find a punting gif. Ah well, there wasn’t even a ball. I think he was just kicking dirt.

4 Likes

89B2BE38-2298-44A5-9A7B-CF5001D18789

5 Likes

Maybe renting in the Millenium Tower is a bucket list thing. It may be the last thing to do before you die - or it’ll give you serious bragging rights if you checked out before the event.

3 Likes

The puzzling thing about renters, vs. buyers; is that they aren’t in a position to be working the (desperately cynical; but not so readily dismissed as one would like) angle that, if you have enough capital to make the investment, it might be perfectly rational to buy an asset with a serious risk of failure if there’s a correspondingly decent shot that some combination of insurance and public subsidies that everyone will carefully refrain from describing as such will come flowing in if the place does fall over.

I’d like to dismiss that as implausible; but we live in a world where various insurance subsidy structures reward people, year in and year out, for building in parts of California that burn down all the time; or in known flood zones.

4 Likes

its real-estate jenga

3 Likes

And don’t forget there’s also the watery kind of punting:

(Hopefully there won’t be a crossover between this and the Jeremy Hunt thread)

4 Likes

working the angle

Heh.

3 Likes

Based on the success of my Lisztomania video, I am withholding my “Come on Eilean” video until the market recovers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.