February was Earth's hottest month on record ever. Yes, you should freak out

on the other hand, climate change is a handout to the wind industry.

Both from all the extra storms, and from all the hot air that denying them generates.

7 Likes
3 Likes

I agree climate change exists. I agree itā€™s bad and caused by humanity. I fail to see why freaking out is advisable.

I say this because I am, in fact, freaking out. It is an unpleasant state and I donā€™t see how my panicking is going to do anyone - deniers, advocates, scientists, my kids - any good. I write congress-critters, I vote for meaningful changes to policy, I take personal action to the best of my ability.

It doesnā€™t seem to matter. This article, and by all means correct me if I am mistaken, does nothing but reinforce the message that the problem is too big for an individual to address. Why run this article - does it exist for any purpose beyond inciting fear? If not, shouldnā€™t we as readers be skeptical not of the content but of the intent to push people to act irrationally?

Please, Boingboing, I love you! But more useful advice, less ā€¦whatever this is, please.

4 Likes

I live in one of those good red areas of the map; February was glorious, as normally we are ass-deep in snow and still feeling with temperatures which are the same in Celsius of Fahrenheit.

The general consensus among left-leaning greenies is that it is definitely a ā€œguilty pleasureā€, and not in one of those ā€œI listen to Ace of Bass in the carā€ ways.

Itā€™s a shame about the overland flooding in the summer months, though.

1 Like

I definitely took climate change into account when I bought my place. With 2 meters of ocean level rise, my local river should be a tidal inlet, and my view improved quite a bit.

2 Likes

I miss seeing it from above.

10 Likes

It only seemed further away because you were smaller then.

And there were also 3 billion fewer of us.

Dude, weā€™re all freaking out.

8 Likes

Cyanobacteria. Theyā€™re the climate engineers.

8 Likes

The blue-green algae once almost froze the Earth to an icy rock. So they have quite some potential.

2 Likes

I do not think the time of the Eukaryotes is ending, howeverā€¦

5 Likes

Maybe they could be helped a little by some genemodding.

1 Like

There is some stoichiometry to consider. On a large scale.

They already have it dialed. We can freak out.

1 Like

Will freaking out help anything or is it just an useless emotional show?

What about shrugging, sitting down, and figuring out what can be done instead of bickering on international fora, pointless treaties and various annoyances?

Some local greenie politico bitched couple days ago that it is not normal that so high percentage of people can afford flying to holidays. Well, I for one like the affordable flights, carbon footprint be damned. Find me local close friends or hands off my flight tickets.

it is a useful emotional show.

that is a useless practical show.

and I think thatā€™s the useless emotional show.

What will happen is we will run out of petroleum, when we do, and then a lot of us. Most of us, I worry, are, yes, well and truly fucked.

Iā€™m not sure what to do. But I canā€™t imagine you have a better handle on it either. Iā€™ve studied climate with NASA scientists, have a career in environmental chemistry. We sure donā€™t have a handle on it. Enjoy the cheap gas while it lasts is my advice. Hug your children.

Optimism is a very useful emotional show. Carry on!

5 Likes

Iā€™m firmly in the ā€œdonā€™t freak out pleaseā€ category. Not because AGCC isnā€™t concerning, but it is long-term concerning rather than short-term concerning. Basically, leave the actual exclamation-mark PANIC to your kids. This is a good time to redouble reasonable efforts and for fuckā€™s sake: Can we please stop pretending that weā€™re going to run the modern world on solar panels and unicorn farts? We may have to embrace nuclear. Hell, even biomass is better on some level than vaporizing fossils. If ever there was a case of the perfect being allowed to become the supreme enemy of the good, itā€™s the energy crises.

3 Likes

Useful, exactly how?

Can do more good than freaking out. There are various proposals how to increase the albedo of the atmosphere.

Coal-to-liquid aka old Fischer-Tropsch will buy us quite some more time with most of existing infrastructure. Meanwhile molten salt thorium reactors, until fusion becomes practical.

Plus algae-based fuels.

Thatā€™s the plan.

What children?

2 Likes

Pfft, itā€™s no big deal. Why, that record gets broken all the time these days. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be broken again soon!

4 Likes

I don;t know why everyoneā€™s panicking. Do the Americanā„¢ thing, and think of the profit to be made ahead. Me, Iā€™m buying beach front property in New Mexico while itā€™s still cheap! (it shouldnā€™t be too bad, even considering all of the giant fern trees and scary giant insectsā€¦)

1 Like

Todo: invest to chainsaw and bug spray companies.