Federal charges for Donald Trump

Need to get confirmation. Not trusting the word of a lying liar who lies.

11 Likes

I don’t think there’s any legal reason why he wouldn’t be able to run for President, even if convicted and serving time in prison. People have run for President from prison before. Impeachment prevents another run, and insurrection or rebellion under the 14th Amendment would prevent another run, but that’s not what he’s been charged with.

13 Likes

Knock, knock

Who’s there?

Orange.

Orange who?

Orange you glad he didn’t get elected?

20 Likes

It’s been confirmed by multiple outlets now, including CNN, NBC, Fox, the Wall Street Journal, etc. It’s real.

18 Likes

Can Felons Serve in US Elected Federal Offices? Being a felon does not disqualify you from being elected and serving as president. No self-respecting party would nominate a convicted felon but we are talking about the Republicans. Also the case probably won’t come up before Election Day and his base will only be riled up. The last time he was indicted he raised more money and he went from being a has-been candidate to the leading Republican nominee.

16 Likes

Let’s hope staying in prison will severely cripple his ability to campaign and whipping up his base to a frenzy for another insurrection in case he loses.

13 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

20 Likes

Discovery should be interesting. I still wonder if there’s a joker in the deck, something about about the documents that didn’t come from the search at Mar-a-Lago, and therefore hasn’t come out yet.

(Like a copy of one turning up in a not-so-friendly country.)

14 Likes

In my happy daydream Kushner’s $2Billion dollar ‘investment’ from Saudi Arabia shortly after they all left the White House is because 45 gave them a document he shouldn’t have. And then he bragged about it or they all wrote it down somewhere.

Something so egregiously horrid that all the Republicans who (still!) hold their noses and vote R because they don’t like the Democrats will at least just stay home.

26 Likes

It’s part of the Espionage Act. I guess someone could argue that the President isn’t a Federal Employee? But that seems silly. If they draw a salary, they’re an employee.

16 Likes

Ok, so then that’s one argument they’d try.

10 Likes

Mickey Mouse Happy Dance GIF by hoppip

15 Likes

Congress cannot add additional restrictions on qualifications to run for President, because those qualifications are listed in the Constitution. They can for other offices, but not President.

12 Likes

In the law of England & Wales there are distinctions between ‘employee’ and ‘office holder’ that apply even when the office is salaried. This includes the police, who aren’t technically employees of their police authority but holders of the office of ‘constable’ (though in that case must of the rights and duties of ordinary employees have been added back by statute). The Prime Minister is definitely such an office holder.

Don’t know about the US, mind. I doubt it’s an issue that comes up very often…

3 Likes

The Constitution lists minimum requirements, not limits. Come on. That’s a stretch.

The Espionage Act has been tested on congressional candidates, so I don’t think that distinction holds here.

7 Likes

It is not a stretch. I’m not going to keep arguing this, because it’s well established law and you can Google it, but it’s why they needed a Constitutional Amendment to add a term limit. Unless he’s convicted of some crime of insurrection or rebellion, he can run for President, convict or not, even while in prison.

8 Likes

You could replace Trump with a Markov chain and nobody’d notice.

8 Likes

Do you really think they’ll need discovery? Trump may have the right to remain silent, but he has absolutely does not have the ability to remain silent, especially if someone challenges or makes fun of him.

13 Likes

IMG_8739

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some witness tampering involved in the charges.

Or that they flipped Meadows.

15 Likes

40 Likes