Fellow tries to stop train from plowing into a limousine

Fellow tries to stop train from plowing into a limousine

I’m not clear on why anyone would want to.

2 Likes

Wait! I’ve heard this one before!

You’re supposed to throw a fat guy in front the train!

3 Likes

Or just simple geometry!

2 Likes

I feel like Photoshopping some drunk people waving hankies out the sunroof.
Sorry, had too.

1 Like

Years and years ago, I worked as a police (and fire, and EMS) dispatcher. One day a train took out a semi that got stuck on the tracks. That was an unusual incident because the semi’s driver (who was also the one who called 9-1-1) was still trying to get the truck unstuck when the train hit it.

Another unusual aspect of that call was that the police had so-called CIT (crisis intervention team) officers, trained in, naturally, crisis intervention. They usually got dispatched out on suicidal people and the like. But the fire guys asked for one to be dispatched to the scene to help out the poor engineer, who had to deal with the fact that his train had just killed someone.

1 Like

saw one before cause I posted and got a certain commento…
but no one wants to talk about those whales that hang out with cargo ships
bow mating game

The trolololley problem?

2 Likes

Trolley problem, schmolley problem - it’s all about the points!

6 Likes

It was a red one. Engineer assumed he was a matador.

Here in the UK, some level crossings have obstacle detection systems as a backup to the barriers that are supposed to stop cars getting onto the crossing in the first place.

It probably doesn’t hurt that it appears to have been largely free to skid along the tracks. The limo’s inertia certainly makes for a solid hit; and the underbody isn’t designed to travel on rails; but exerting enough force to overcome inertia and friction is going to do a lot less damage than if the limo were anchored(by a tunnel entrance, say, or similar obstacles on both sides of the track). In that case, I’m not sure I’d bet on the limo remaining in one piece.

Had the tires actually been in contact with the ground the limo might have been split in 2. Looks like since the frame was riding on the tracks in the middle of the limo there wasn’t much resistance to the train and the limo sort of glided along the tracks.

I used to live near Baxter Street in the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. It’s one of the steepest streets in the city, with a 32% grade that tops out at Alvarado Street, then immediately drops back down at a 32% grade on the other side.

baxter4

Here’s how it looked in 1937:

baxter

And here’s what I saw all too often on my way home from work:

baxter2

baxter3

I always wanted to have someone shut off cross traffic so I could go up that hill and top the rise at like 70 mph, but I feel like if I did I wouldn’t touch the ground until I crash-landed at the bottom of the hill. Just going over it at 20 mph is incredibly hair-raising.

Driving a stretch limo sounds like a really thankless job to me.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.