Feral Peacocks terrorize Canadian neighborhood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/06/feral-peacocks-terrorize-canad.html

8 Likes

Easy fix

8 Likes

Peafowl are relatives of pheasants and are edible…

21 Likes

16 Likes

This is just poetic justice for all the god damn Canadian Geese which moved down here in the last 20 years.

19 Likes

Yeah, my reaction to the title was, “Neighborhood overrun with Vegans” or “Neighborhood has no kids with pellet guns”

9 Likes

You know my theory about Canadian Geese, right? That Canadians stuff all their hate into their geese, like the french do with ducks or geese to fatten up their livers for foie gras, and then send them south. That’s why Canadians are so nice and Canadian geese are such assholes.

36 Likes

An ex-boyfriend who was Canadian insisted that they are “Canada Geese.” I rest your case.

9 Likes

Now that we know birds are pretty much dinosaurs, this is not surprising. And I think they remember when they ruled the earth, which adds to their natiive belligerence.

6 Likes

If you want to get technical, they are called “branta canadadensis”, so we’re all wrong!

Bring on the hateful geese and the sweet Canadians!

7 Likes

Night of the Peacock!

http://www.dramabutton.com/

3 Likes

It’s Canada geese, or as we call them, illegal immigrant geese. After all, the birds are migratory, spending at least half their time in the US. They’re just as big assholes north of the border, so we must assume that they absorb the worst of both countries, resulting in birds with a double dose of assholery.

6 Likes

Is it legal to catch and eat peacocks in Canada? It would be funny to just turn it into a sport where you can’t shoot them but you can chase them in packs.

6 Likes

In some parts they encourage cutting trees and shrubs (because “Fire Safe”).

Here, Peacocks would be a cougar attractant, but I guess that would be temporary.

3 Likes

The population used to be kept in check by public-spirited volunteer organizations, but a bunch of officious concern trollies put a stop to that. How do you like your manicured, poop-smeared lawns now, Mr. and Mrs. Suburbanite?

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha! Yeah, at least half.

For example the ones that spend 365 days out of every year befouling my yard and harassing passersby.

Unfortunately, the migratory species act that protects them doesn’t have an exclusion for lazy grifter geese that don’t migrate, or at least I haven’t found such an exemption in the dense thicket of legalese that controls when and how I’m allowed to kill them.

5 Likes

They have their sedentary counterparts here that stay around all winter. A few years back there was an attempt to re-instil the migratory instinct by packing up a number of them on a cargo plane and flying them south.

Of course, next fall the geese just showed up at the airport.

15 Likes

I’m sticking with my Canadians stuffing them with hate and sending them south story.

12 Likes

Busted.

Sorry. It’s just that we have so much hate. :anguished:

5 Likes

Friend just posted this:

12 Likes