Fields medal stolen moments after it was awarded

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/02/fields-medal-stolen-moments-af.html

3 Likes

I wonder if Terry Bryant has decided to branch out from Hollywood?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/terry-bryant-frances-mcdormand-alleged-000659707.html

BOLO4

gifted

1 Like

The police thought at first that the butler had done it, but it in the end it didn’t add up.

10 Likes

“Light-Fingered Opportunist Manuel “Greased Rat” Ramierez awarded thievery’s highest honor, the Artful Dodger medal, for his theft of mathematics’ highest honor, the Fields medal.”

11 Likes

(1 medal) - (1 medal) = (0 medal) + (1 embarrassed organizer)

Reduces to

0 = embarrassed organizer

Which means the embarrassed organizer is worthless.

1 Like

I like the mathematical presentation of this relevant comment. “Profoundly sorry” is equivalent to “thoughts and prayers”, infinitely less than a replacement medal or any substantive effort.

1 Like

“Wow, what are the odds of that happening?”

(Roomful of mathematicians suddenly goes quiet as the mental calculations begin.)

14 Likes

Fields medal stolen moments after it was awarded

Don’t look at me! I can’t add two 2 x 4’s together…

1 Like

I believe they meant to say 14 Karat gold medal.

(confounding enough, carat is for diamonds, while karat is for gold, with carrot being a different beast entirely)

Also: pffff, 14K only, how pedestrian!

3 Likes

Keep a watch on other medals. There might be some big purple guy adding them to his Power Glove of Doom.

3 Likes

The significant value in the Fields medal is not vested in the chunk of gold.

5 Likes

I like carrots. But there’s no way I could eat 14 of them all in one go.

you could try a 14 carat carrot instead, which is rather small, only weighs 2.8 g, or ~0.1oz.

~says anyone whose chunk of gold is only 14K.
~~ ~~ :grin:

1 Like

There should be a special, hyper-specific level of hell just for someone who would steal a Fields medal from a mathematician. There should be endless, mandatory equation solving on a blackboard with chalk that screeches every time it makes contact.

4 Likes

6 Likes
1 Like

Well, that makes it the second Fields medal for a Brazilian.
(First one won by Arthur Avila)

1 Like

Oh, snap, special kudos for sly-linking to the actress with the second highest Erdős–Bacon number…

1 Like