Fifty of the most drug-drenched albums of all time

Indeed, most acid influence historically came after the people came down off the acid and had a chance to reflect on the experience. Butthole Surfers acid influence came from coming up on acid, being on acid, coming down off acid, and taking more acid.

5 Likes

I would like to see this topic extended to Fifty of the Most Drug-Drenched Movies of All Time or Fifty of the Most Drug-Drenched TV Shows of All Time.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for ruining my childhood, I thought all creativity was organic and sh!t.

[note sarcasm]

2 Likes

It disappoints me that none if the classic stoner rock bands aren’t represented. I mean, Sleep’s Dopesmoker begins with the classic lyric:

Drop out of life with bong in hand
Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land

5 Likes

yes, this is my main complaint. there’s no reason Joy Division and Closer should be on this list. drugs were not the issue, mental health and depression were.

4 Likes

I found the Buttholes a monumentally lousy live act…

…just sayin’.

The most obvious (to me, anyway) omission from this list is Sly’s “There’s a Riot Going On”, which is a trippy bit of psychedelic soul, but is also legendary for all the drugs he took while making it. It took him so long to finish the album, overdubbing or erasing and re-recording so many parts that the multitrack began to disintegrate, and ultimately spelled the end of The Family Stone as an actual band.

8 Likes

Seriously, just double the list and include every LPD album.

1 Like

I have my personal fav list… Requiem for a Dream, Spun, Basketball Diaries, Drugstore Cowboy, Human Traffic, Trainspotting.

3 Likes

Yes, but to clarify, I’m thinking about production, not content.

2 Likes

Narrow-sliced list, IMO. Missing recent contributions:

I guess including Sun-Ra doesn’t count; dude is drugs.

1 Like

Where ‘begins’ means ‘after eight minutes of glacially slow bass riffs’. Which is not a bad thing.

I’d like to contribute something from what was supposedly the first album recorded under the influence of MDMA:

3 Likes

Fela “Expensive Shit,” in which he describes his experience after he swallowed a joint to avoid Nigerian police…they arrested him pending the acquisition of the “evidence” from his shit. More about how authorities use drugs to justify abusing and subjugating people, though.

1 Like

How about Wolfgang Voigt’s project GAS? Primarily inspired by his experiences tripping in the Black Forest. “Pop” would be the first one I’d check. It’s basically like listening to pop music melted in a pool of acid. At first you’ll think “it’s just doing the same thing over and over…” but wait. There’s more! The voices, the meaning, everything is stripped away…but the sound pools and swirls and, occasionally, thumps.

1 Like

Where’d you see them, and when? Just askin’.

Twice, I guess, in Seattle.
In the '80’s.
I can only remember for sure that one show was at the Ballard Firehouse.
I like their music, I just felt that they had no connection with the audience.

I mentioned it to a friend at the time and she said that they only
came to Seattle because we had better pot.

Am I the only one disturbed by the list including “repressed homosexuality” as a “drug”? And the author seems kind of old-fashioned squeamish about it. (Doth they protest too much?)

I live in the San Francisco area (where the author came to realize what was going on with the Rollins gym boys) and have very fond memories of Rollins fans. One in particular from an outdoor festival, where I was sitting on the lawn (possibly* tripping hard), uphill from the mosh pit. As Green Day finally left the stage and Rollins made his appearance, there was a low rumble and the ground began to shake. A herd of mammoth Rollins fan came pouring down the hill to the pit. Yet they were all quite courteous, not only avoiding hitting others but leaping over picnics with not so much as a squashed grape.

*Yeah, I totally was

11 Likes

I would add to the list:

4 Likes

The most obvious (to me, anyway) omission from this list is Sly’s “There’s a Riot Going On

FUCKING THIS!
came here to say this, and a few other things, but still reading the thread…
edit:
ok, thread read. first of all, I love this quote:

There’s a reason Neil Young called Cale and Jimi Hendrix the “best electric guitar players I ever heard.” And that reason is because Cale managed to make every single song he ever recorded sound like 2am in downtown Tulsa, standing outside a bar that serves free hot dogs.

that struck me as the most true thing he wrote, of the artists I’m familiar with, anyway.
it’s a good list, from what I can tell, but not comprehensive. the “no reggae” clause is understandable; but still, I’d like to posit the compilation Bionic Dub, produced by Bunny Lee, feat. Sly& Robbie, Jackie Mitoo, Tommy McCook, Roland Alphonso, Dirty Harry, and more:

alluded to in one of the write-ups was Cypress Hill, their eponymous first LP must certainly be the entry for hip hop. for proof, I enter this experience into the record: five young men near the age of eighteen, engaging in a smoke-out session in a garage in Nashville, circa 1992. the tape boom box is playing said album. “Pigs,” “How I Could Just Kill a Man,” “Hand on the Pump,” and “Hole in the Head” have all been sessioned and the bowl is repacked when “Ultraviolet Dreams” plays. As we spark the bowl, G*** rewinds the tape again and again. Finally, he explicitly tells us to shut up, and grabs the lighter out of one of our hands. As the track plays, we all collectively realize that the sounds of a bowl being sparked have been recorded parallel to the heavily blunted-out beat. G*** was the only one among us hearing two bowls being sparked simultaneously. As we realize his confusion, all five of us erupt into hysterical laughter.
also, I wish to enter an album by Clue To Kalo called One Way, It’s Every Way. I don’t know if it’s on weed, or downs, or weed and downs, but it’s a truly great, unrecognized album. can’t find a whole album, but here’s the second track:

3 Likes

Regarding The Madcap Laughs: in the song “If It’s in You”, Syd manages to get 15 syllables into the word “wink”. Pretty great.

1 Like