Fifty of the most drug-drenched albums of all time

yup I just think dude passed over anything electronic.

1 Like

How about Maggot Brain?

4 Likes

Eddie Hazel is there.

2 Likes

Pish posh!

Everyone knows the real Butts psychedelic masterpiece was Boiled Dove … good luck finding that one though.

1 Like

Interesting list. Misses that come to mind: Birthday Party, Blue Cheer, Gong, Alice In Chains, Jane’s Addiction…
Edit- didn’t mean to reply to previous comment. I blame the drugs.

3 Likes

Captain Beefheart?

Wasn’t he famously like Zappa really anti-drug, and never did anything beyond alcohol until well after this was recorded?

Yes, he came up with that sh*t sober.

6 Likes

Mosh pit ettitquette, basically. HR is hot on that, not being a dick to others.

1 Like

Loving Igorrr at the moment. Back catalogue is COMPLETELY demented. Doesn’t mean drug use though - remember DVV/Captain Beefheart, Zappa and Viv Stanshall were not big drug hounds or were totally clean…and their music is INSANE.

Sometimes drugs make you saner and less interesting, I find.

1 Like

good stuff

2 Likes

All favourites of mine except AIC. Like some of their tunes but they always sounded like pure heroin to me.

1 Like

Oh, I see, yes! At least something is right in the world.

2 Likes

Or despite the public ‘clean cut’ image, the Carpenters, WAYYYYY out there on diet pills (speed) and amphetamines.

2 Likes

I think he wanted to include a straight edge icon in his top five as a joke, but the only was he could find to do that was by being a homophobic ass.

3 Likes

My contribution to the “how could they possibly have overlooked this” list:

5 Likes

I’m a bit disappointed not to see The Sisters of Mercy’s First and Last and Always on the list. That’s basically “Amphetamine: The Album”.

2 Likes

Oooooooh, so that’s where Orbital sampled it from. I had always wondered.

2 Likes

It disappoints me that none if the classic stoner rock bands aren’t represented. I mean, Sleep’s Dopesmoker begins with the classic lyric:

Drop out of life with bong in hand
Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land

And the stoner urban myth (disproven) that they blew their entire album budget on weed, which is why the album is just one loooong track. Urban mythology and Sabbath sounds are as drug culture as a pot dealer’s wool lined denim jacket. I second your Sleep recommendation.

They used so much studio production on their albums I can totally see them sucking live.

Yes, that one track on the “Smack My Crack” comp where Gibby talks about his dream of being a dentist, I played that to death back in the day.

I’d say the Butthole Surfers ‘psychedelic masterpiece’ was the entire Buttholes experience, the very concept of weirdos from Texas playing this dadaist no-wave chaos to hardcore punks who just wanted to mosh.

2 Likes

It’s actually a Thai song.

2 Likes