Final words of 13 Ukrainian island border guards to Russian invaders: “Go f*ck yourself!" 

I was going to post this but there is so much propaganda lies being spewed out that anything i see or read has to be taken with a pinch of salt until verified but it seems legit, doesn’t it? I still got choked up listening to it. Brave people.

Captain America Reaction GIF

6 Likes

I don’t think I’d agree that counterinsurgency doesn’t work and it seems to me that Afghanistan and Vietnam are two examples of guerrilla armies sticking it to imperial aggressors, admittedly with a lot of outside help.

2 Likes

Insurgency works, counterinsurgency less so. Never without significant local support.

5 Likes

in the examples you give we were operating the counterinsurgency

ETA: Happy cake day! I always enjoy seeing you around!

6 Likes

I haz a confuse.

:grin:

5 Likes

… has impenetrable (to non-locals) terrain, tailor-made for insurgents to melt into and then emerge when they want to. Rinse and repeat.

Ukraine is a wide open plain, in comparison, and the Russians are ruthless enough to bomb urban and suburban sites irrespective of civilians, if their forces come under fire there.

But I’m totally with you in wanting to see a fierce insurgency and guerrilla fightback if it can be sustained without civilian reprisals.

4 Likes

This. It’s not like we don’t know who Putin’s oligarch playmates are.

Seize/Freeze their assets all over the world and some very ugly people will start having major issues with Putin. They can put more pressure on him than anyone anywhere else can.

8 Likes

Apparently, life is.

This is a devastating waste of life. These Ukrainians were brave, but they shouldn’t have had to be.

10 Likes

I used to have this poster:

I need to get another one.

7 Likes

Caesar. Sadat. Moise.

Happens more than you’d think.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the famous “NUTS!” reply by General McAuliffe at the Battle of the Bulge. Only with a much, much worse outcome. Fuck.

3 Likes

Even if the money wasn’t being siphoned off by Putin and his cronies, Russia’s GDP is smaller than that of Italy or Australia and it masquerades as a superpower trying to be a global military force and holding down a massive internal security apparatus designed to keep its own citizens in order.

Russia can’t afford a long, expensive war and there’s nowhere for the natural gas that pays the bill to go if Europe says ‘no thank you’. There aren’t enough pipelines going to China to make up for Europe finally saying that they want to look elsewhere for energy.

And when that happens, Russia makes nothing the rest of the world needs or wants. That will be Putin’s legacy - the ruination of a once great economic and technological power.

6 Likes

If Russia’s military objective is to kill as many Ukrainian people as possible then they’ve got the advantage. If their goal is to gain and hold control of Ukraine in the face of determined and ongoing local resistance then that’s a much taller order.

7 Likes

It is indeed.
But determined resistance will likely also result in many Ukrainian people being killed in reprisal.

As I said in the other thread.

2 Likes

A Ukrainian State Border Guard Service Facebook post suggests the unit may still be alive.
(reported on BBC, this is the facebook link)

7 Likes

I hope the Russians have a warehouse to house them and their gigantic balls.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.