Finally got my Emacs setup just how I like it

I freaking love nano.

3 Likes

org-mode

7 Likes

Why is one of the tags “eight megs and constant swapping”? Is that how most people use Emacs?

1 Like

vi lover.

Lots of my emails have ‘:wq’ at the end :frowning:

12 Likes

And this is why, during my very brief foray into elementary programming (mainly Ruby), I opted for vi—and then nano when I realized that even that was overkill for my novice skill level.

1 Like

It used to be that emacs was seen as an enormous resource hog (cf all the jokes in this thread about not needing an OS within an editor). So much so that it was jokingly said to stand for Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping; that is, I have a machine with a massive Eight Megs of RAM and yet emacs is constantly swapping (writing temporary memory files to disk because 8 megs is not enough). Now a typical laptop has 4, 8 or 16 GIGS of RAM, but the jokes continue.

10 Likes

If we’re going for über keyboard setups.

4 Likes

[quote]The most important differences between vi and Emacs are presented in the following table:

Keystroke execution

vi retains each permutation of typed keys. This creates a path in the decision tree which unambiguously identifies any command.

Emacs commands are key combinations for which modifier keys are held down while other keys are pressed; a command gets executed once completely typed. This still forms a decision tree of commands, but not one of individual keystrokes. A vim-inspired Emacs package (undo-tree) provides a user interface to the tree.[4][/quote]

… Let me guess. Neither one works with Sticky Keys, nor with accessible alternatives to Sticky Keys. Is that why emacs works better with more keys?

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

One more thing: Do emacs and vi allow users to disable flashing cursors and sort tables? :stuck_out_tongue: But they’re probably overkill. I’m considering Scrivener because it’s supposed to allow those things; LibreOffice doesn’t allow the former and Bean doesn’t allow the latter and has certain formatting bugs.

1 Like

Let it be a cautionary tale; Satan can influence the purest of souls.

4 Likes

Org-mode. I do 80% of my composing in it.

2 Likes

Besides, didn’t the author of Bean announce a few years ago that he was going to stop developing and maintaining it? I loved it while it was an active project but I foresee it becoming deadware with the advent of macOS.

Yes, I believe so, but you’ll need someone already familiar with the editor to do it for you. They are pure text editors, not word processors or document management systems.

Wrll, I started using Bean because it doesn’t have the flashing cursor that LibreOffice and Pages have, and doesn’t have some of the other problems that Textedit does. I know it’s not supported any more. But my accessibility needs aren’t supported yet.

1 Like

Using vi is a sin according to St. Ignucias. But one where the penance is to use vi, so…

7 Likes

Gulp! Git out of here Jenkins you Vagrant, we don’t continuously integrate in these parts…this is cowboy coding country, who do you think you are a rock star?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Let’s see, I’ll answer these questions for vim.

• sticky keys: not out of the box afaik, but there are plugins to rebind single characters to sequential character inputs (to vim, p, P, ctrl-P, and ctrl-p are all single key inputs). I’ll see if I can turn sticky keys on my ubuntu machine tonight to see how it interacts with vim.
  • flashing cursor? Configurable. Most of the time it’s a static cursor that is either full line height or underline.
  • sort tables: you’ve mistaken vim for a rich text editor. Vim is a text editor that is good for editing unformatted text. That isn’t to say someone hasn’t written a plugin for this

As for emacs… most are sequences like ctrl-c k or something… not a user so I don’t remember the common ones.

EDIT: Tried vim with sticky keys on for about five minutes. It’s distracting to me since I have to ignore my muscle memory to do it, but it seemed to work normally otherwise. (2wd still deleted 2 words, 1+5+Shift+J still joined 15 lines)

3 Likes

I wish I knew what you were talking about, but I have no idea. Yer too smart for me here; I will attempt to educate myself on the internet: wish me luck.

2 Likes

From my copy of the manpage:

SEE ALSO
The full documentation for Ed is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If
the info and Ed programs are properly installed at your site, the com‐
mand

info Ed
   should give you access to the complete manual.

Ed 1.9 June 2013 ED(1)

So apparently someone has written something about it since 1970.

There’s a few videos of people using steno machines to write/code in Vim. Not sure if any of them use Emacs as well.

1 Like

9 Likes