Finally got my Emacs setup just how I like it

Really? I thought EMACS stood for EMACS Makes A Computer Slow.

4 Likes

Scrutinized your nano flag, shrugs, and writes this post in Gedit.

3 Likes

There are all sorts of modes available for Emacs that certainly allow it to be a word processor, some even take you part of the way to WYSIWYG. I edit all my documents in Emacs Org mode. If I need to share documents with the unenlightened I export to PDF or HTML.

Remember not all word processors are WYSIWYG; the canonical example is probably Wordstar which I used for many years and my fingers still remember many of the key sequences. WS was much better than Word for most things; blindingly fast and you never need to take your hands of the keyboard. I still miss it.

3 Likes

Bean had (has) some great accessibility features. And I agree, as rich text editors go, it’s still among the best.

The only vi command I know is :q!

4 Likes

In general, the answer to “Does emacs allow users to…” is yes.

5 Likes

Not if you unroll that loop.

1 Like

Libreoffice is supposed to follow the system default for flashing cursors, I just tested it on window and I have a non-flashing cursor right now.

I have never used MacOS/OSX for long enough to change settings so I don’t know how to set the cursor to non-flashing, or if it will work.

1 Like

This is one partial approach, but it only works in certain apps, including Bean, Textedit, and apparently Scrivener, but not LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or Pages, or Mail either; apparently there are two system defaults and only one allows these changes:

http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/08/how-to-change-your-macs-text-cursor-blink-rate/

This is the recommended comprehensive approach, but I have an ssd - less noisy - and I don’t have enough disk space:

1 Like

Mmm, now there’s an idea: adding syntax coloring to ed… Perhaps we could also build a Lisp interpreter into it?
–StephanHouben

I am reminded of a published standard for a baby formula, and the Q&A generated when various mothers inquired if they could substitute honey for corn syrup, add vitamins, use skim milk rather than whole milk, and so on. The originator of this formula spent some effort explaining that the formula worked as it did because of the way it was formulated, and that messing with the ingredients would alter that formula. He concluded with this bit of pith: “You would also not add motor oil.”
However, in keeping with the theme and spirit of “small and terse” I suppose I could let you add … a Forth interpreter. – GarryHamilton

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?EdIsTheStandardTextEditor

Or I could run Wubi in Wineskin, or apparently anything in Emacs. As long as I can access my files, I can get by with relatively limited Linux disk space. No, wait, this would probably require even more processing power than ocr…

And here, I thought Emacs stood for “Escape Meta Alt Control Shift”…

5 Likes

Gulp! Git out of here Jenkins you Vagrant, we
don’t continuously integrate in these parts…this is cowboy coding
country, who do you think you are a rock star?

Hmm. Never considered kicking it all off with a jenkins build before…

Thanks!

2 Likes

:qa! I say to you!

1 Like

eMacs? I remember those…

(the emachine mac “clone”)

ah the days when dell was the high end and gateway, emachines, and others tried to differentiate their offerings in the cheap-o pc market.

6 Likes

That thing looks designed specifically to bother Steve Jobs in the same way that squirrels are designed to entice dogs…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.